The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

back end slides to side while mudding

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back end slides to side while mudding

I was out at buchanans mudfest in robertsville, mo over the weekend. It was the first time I've taken my truck out. It was a blast and I luckily didn't break anything too serious. I noticed though that while running through some smaller pits my rear end would slide out to one side, usually out to the left. It made it a little hard to control a couple times. Any ideas why? The only thing I thought of was cuz there wasn't any weight in the back.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM
You're joking right?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Must be a young gun, or new to mud ! Mud has limited amounts of traction. Your tires don't grip as well as they would on the road.

You most likely have an open rear diff. That means, only one tire pushes you. So, in mud, when traction is limited, that one rear tire would push its side faster. Think of a row boat with only one side rowing (circles). Yours didn't go in circles, of course, but it did push to a side. Its all part of mudding. Your good to go. Don't get in over your head, and keep at it. You'll learn how the truck acts.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
umm not exactly joking...i said it was my first time taking the truck out in mud...

yeah i am. im only 19 and ive been trying to get into it for a while but cant afford a truck to build. my truck isnt worth as much now so im going to build it up.

that makes sense. it was something that kinda crossed my mind but i didnt put too much thought into this whole thing. i didnt really expect that too cuz i have a limited slip diff that i thought was still good. guess not though

Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by jhedges15
umm not exactly joking...i said it was my first time taking the truck out in mud...

yeah i am. im only 19 and ive been trying to get into it for a while but cant afford a truck to build. my truck isnt worth as much now so im going to build it up.

that makes sense. it was something that kinda crossed my mind but i didnt put too much thought into this whole thing. i didnt really expect that too cuz i have a limited slip diff that i thought was still good. guess not though
He's just giving you a hard time. he's been wheeling for a long time too, so these questions sometimes make us do a double take.

19 huh ? Well, glad to see ya getting into wheeling ! More, the better. What year/model truck are you playing with ? Stock ?

Ya, limited slip wont always engage, and is only good for about 60k miles before needing new clutch packs.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
It's a 97 f150 pretty stock except for a few bolt ons, details in the sig. I want an older 250 but all my friends always drop out on me and won't help pay/build when it comes down to it.

The truck is only gonna be sitting on the aal and small tires for about another month. I'm planning on a sas swap using a Dana 44 and a 8 inch lift. I don't need the truck during the summer cuz I have my bike so it's gonna sit and I'm hoping to have the build done by September for the next mudfest

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
No $44 go d60 at least go with a 9" front end and rear end, but id deffinitely go with D60's front and rear KingPins, with High Pinions. Basically the Ford D60's, id also use a 14 Bolt for the rear.

Leaf springs are a tried and true method on this, but coils and rad arms can work, so can a 4 link setup.

check out my build thread. Come up with ideas. Mine is about 22" of lift. Id go with more than 8" if i was you, 10-12 would clear 40's

BUILD THREAD LINK IN SIG

Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Welcome to our DIRTY world!!! Your still a young buck, it just gets more fun from here. And as for your sliding sideways thing, ENJOY IT, ITS FUUUNNN!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
A d44 is the plan for now at least. I'd really like to get super duty axles but money is an issue. It's all kinda up in the air though. I'm gonna gather parts as soon as I get my next two pay checks. A 44 would be enough for me but if I can get a stronger axle for the right price I'm gonna go for it. The rear is gonna stay for now. I just want to get the front done first.

I'm definatelt going with leaf springs. I've been following your thread since the first day you posted it up and I've learned quite a bit from it. I'm actually looking to get the springs from the same place you got them. Thinkin of going with the 10" ford springs for the rear and 8" 70's chevy springs for the front. I'd I need more clearance I'll add a block to it.

I don't want to go that big on tires yet cuz I can't afford to regear after I lift it. It will be the nextthing to come but won't be until a moth or two after school starts and I get money back from school from over payment of my loans.

And the sliding was a lot of fun. I loved it until the gf started yelling at me to calm down...and then an idiot in a stock jeep got stuck in the middle of a mud pit and tried to back into me when it was sliding on me

Last edited by jhedges15; 06-08-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
ok man, the 44 will work but you will need to take it easy on it.

Id stay away from Sterlin axles but if you find one make sure its a 10.5 and id go ahead and replace the crappy Limited slips with a locker or tru trac style limited slip.

id get 10" springs all around that will make it much easier imo. and if you get different size springs get taller front springs

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
trimble... my 8.8's have handled the lightning...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
good to hear. Makes me feel better about having a 8.8 outback.

I know guys running 39-40" tires on d44 with no issues. Albeit, they are samurai's and what not, so really not much weight involved !

Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tires just spin... im not even sure they touch the ground lol

Old 06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
haha ive seen one blown 3 times. Thats actually who i sold my axle to. haha It was under a 4.2L. I geuss the guy drives HARD. I dont know him very well, just always at the shop.

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
good to hear. Makes me feel better about having a 8.8 outback.

I know guys running 39-40" tires on d44 with no issues. Albeit, they are samurai's and what not, so really not much weight involved !
Yeah but the sami's are 1.3L arent they...

They weigh alittle more than a cotton ball...

and most applications ive seen are trail ride/ rockcrawlin rigs not deep mud...

But hey ill be building one as a trail rig most likely, might buy one from a guy already built with yota axles runnin propane. Cool rig

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM
8.8's aren't bad axles. They do have weak spots though. You should weld the tubes to the chunk better. The plug welds have been known to break and then you've spun a tube. You can also add some strength by replacing the cover with an explorer IRS diff cover. Much stronger than what cam stock on ours.

Quick Reply: back end slides to side while mudding