The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

hmm.. Gears..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm.. Gears..

(I also posted this in another section, kinda desperate, sorry for the repeat.)

I have a '95 4x2 I6 300 F150

My plans with my truck is to lift it 6 inches, level out the front and sport a set of 36x12.5 (Maybe 10.5) 15 meats for my occasional off road rampage (And to help me through the hunting trails). I will also add some dress ups to the vehicle like, roll bar and bull bar, winch, Camoclad and all those goodies.

Anyway, I've been flaunting my ideas with the thought that I had 3.73 gears and today I caught glimpse of my tag in the door frame stating that I had a 12 bolt axle. If memory serves, this means I'm sporting 2.73 gearing correct? (Did a billion searches today and resulted in every answer but the one I want) I can always go the 'jack up, spin tires, watch drive shaft spin' route, but my vehicle isn't in my possession at the moment, and I have an order on hand for all my props.

With all of that said, is it possible to run my 36s if I do have these gears? It'll be only for a short term, until I can get more funds, heh.

Something else that gets me is, by all the charts I've been studying, 2.73 gearing is kinda off base for a 28" stock tire..

Maybe I should hit the local bone yard and steal an axle from another vehicle? Any specifics if the axle lengths are the same? I have an 8.8 axle if that helps any.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this has been discussed already or hurts from the simplicity of the post.

Last edited by Swampwalker3; 09-18-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
my dad has the same exact truck and he had 2.73 gears. look on the rear housing and there should be a little tag on one of the top bolts that will tell you the ratio. i think you will have to change ratios. to run 36's.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

From what I can read, all I can make out is 73, so I can either assume it's 2.73 or 3.73. I guess I can hit the local bone yard and see if I can't pull something out.

By the way, anyone know a place where I can learn how to read these Diff tags. I understand the gearing and the 8.8 axle gig, but the rest leaves me clueless.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:39 AM
What options did your truck have? No matter what you can run with the stock gears, if it will only be for a short time. Your gas mileage is gonna suck, and you torque converter, or clutch, is gonna curse at you every day. If you want to go from a 28" tall tire to a 36" tall tire, I would jump up to a 4.56 ratio to try and maintain a stock feeling, mileage, wear patterns on the driveline. The 8.8" is a good rear for mustangs. Go to the junk yard and get a 9.75" out of a 97- up f 150 w/ the 5.4L (the 4.6 L had the 8.8" rear) I just got an 86' 150 that is gonna be a trail buildup. You gotta get some pictures before and after!!!! Have fun,

Quick Reply: hmm.. Gears..