The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

What Tires should I get this time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Tires should I get this time?

So It's bout time I get some new tires. Bigger tires at that. I've been running on BFG A/T KO tires. I like them, but I think it's a good idea to explore other options before I go with them again. Does any one have some good suggestions? I do need something I can use on a daily driver but I also need offroad performance. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Try tirerack.com
They usually have descriptions and ratings.

Old 03-22-2003, 10:31 PM
The BFG AT's are a good choice again. However if you do far more highway driving than off road you may want to look into the Perelli Scorpion AT. From what I've heard it has slightly better on road characteristics in trade for some off road performance. If all you are doing is running some fire roads and nothing too hardcore then it should work for you. It's cheaper to boot by about $20 a tire.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:22 PM
I ordered tires from Tirerack.com and had them drop shipped to a local tire installer. I saved almost $200 even after shipping!

I have the Goodyear MT/Rs and I really love them! But thier not ATs there mudders, still they ride nice and look great.

Explorer Tirerack and get all the info/reviews etc. Even if you don't order from them there still a great resource.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello UrbanCowboy,

There is another tire option somewhere between an AT and an MT. These tires provide some of the best characteristics of both. Like tread that is deeper and more self cleaning that an AT but with sipping on the lugs for better traction on wet pavement that an MT.

In my humble opinion this type of tire is often over looked by truck owners and tire manufactures mostly because the flood of SUV's on the market that never leave that pavement but want aggressive looking tires that ride like street tires, anyway. I don't know what size you are looking for but here are a few options below.

Cooper - Discoverer ST
http://www.coopertire.com/tire_cooper/ltsuv.asp?id=190

Big O - Big Foot X/T
http://www.bigotires.com/TireDetail....=&tire=9&bid=1

Parnelli Jones - Dirt Grip
http://www.dirtgriptires.com/

Old 03-25-2003, 01:05 AM
While I can't speak for the Coopers I can for the other 2. I have a set of KS Trailcutter R/Ts (same as the BigFoot X/T) and they're an ok tire offroad. Don't expect too much from these though. They're also pretty loud on the road for the kind of traction you get from them. If you want offroad preformance forget the PJs. They're for looks mainly. They slime over very easily in mud and don't clean well at all. They do ok in dirt (not many tires don't do good in dirt though) but suck in mud. They're also ok in sand too since they don't dig. If you want something that does good offroad and on road look at the MTRs. I've got a set right now and they do very well. If you keep them rotated they're pretty quiet. They're a very good all around tire.

Old 03-25-2003, 06:22 PM
I choose the Big Foot X/Ts on my other truck. They worked just fine for me. I should say they worked awesome because I haven't had one flat with them and they are over a year old. I live 17 miles down a dirt road and flats seem to come very often to weak tires. My dad got quite a few flats with his BFGoodrich A/Ts. As for the Big Foot XTs being loud, I don't feel that way. Two people have had those comments. If they are loud it doesn't bother me at all.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Well to compare them to my old Uniroyal Laredo MTs they were just as loud if not louder and they didn't have near the traction. I guess if I'm looking at tires that are that mild they should be significantly quieter than an MT.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:28 AM
I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. I kind of forgot about this post for the last few days. I got caught up in getting my new Flowmaster system installed. It looks like a lot of great information is posted under this thread and I can't thank you enough.

Terry

Old 03-29-2003, 05:48 AM
Hi UC! I have the Buckshot Mudders by Maxxis & I love them. I use them as daily drivers & they have been great in the mud & the snow - they're self cleaning!
There's a little howl but I've heard worse from Baja Claw's IMO. They weren't expensive here & I guess they're made in OH so you may find them even more reasonably priced. They also just came out w/another tire but I haven't seen them yet - the pics look cool though!
There's pics in my Gallery - 3rd album of my 1st link I think. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Cowlady; 03-29-2003 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: What Tires should I get this time?