f150 IWE

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 IWE

So long story. I bought a 09 f150 FX4 last month and got shafted on the 4x4 and come to find out the entire system was in bad shape. The soleniod was unplugged and tucked away so I couldnt see it when I bought. I coukd hear the TC motor shift and lights would come on but the front was directly connected to ensre 2x4 always. So upon inspection I plugged it back in and connected the lines and the fronts would not spin at all Only pop and bang and make awful noises. I only did this once for about 10secs in a snow covered parking lots. So i got it in the shop and checked the front right of the truck where the noise was coming from. So i decided to remove the CV Shaft since the boot was broken and the shaft came out in 2 pieces and the ball bearings where rolling around inside the boot filled with shavings and the circlip also missing. So I decided to do a major overhaul so i have installed 2 new CV shafts, 2 new hub actuators, 2 new hub assembly since the teeth were ground down. I also noticed multiple splits and leaks in the vac lines so I put put new ones on. So here is my current issue. I need to know where I can find the check valve from the brake booster that has the fitting for the IWE. And also know the correct way to hook the lines up since the vacuum resivore was just missing. Is it line, checkvale T with one going to the box and one to the solenoid? Any help is grealty appreciated.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Old 12-01-2018, 05:30 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
You should be able to get the check valves from the Ford dealer.

Note - you can simply remove the vacuum lines from the IWE's and cap them, and the hubs will stay engaged. You can do without the whole vacuum system until you can get it all sorted and you will have 4wd.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Well every thing installed it shifts to and from 4x4 just fine just need the brake booster check valve and diagram on vacuum lines to the resivore tank. An actual diagram with picture.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 PM
glc
Post #2 in the linked thread has the vacuum diagram. Go to the Ford dealer for the check valve.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM
09 fx4 new issue

So after replacing all the parts today I tried to engage the 4x4 and I can hear the clicking from the hubs not locking. See.s to only come from the left side. Also when i drive a distance I here this odd vibrating, grinding noise also. Dont understand since everything is new.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:04 PM
glc
Do the hubs lock if you disconnect and plug the vacuum lines?

Go back and read the thread linked in post #2.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:56 PM
09 fx4 new issue

Nope. I tested it several times when up in the air and it worked as it should but since on the ground it is touch and go. It does have a 2 inch lift and I suspect that it is the issue. Seems to unlock at certain speeds or hills and bumps. Both sides will grind. Cv axles are spinning but hubs are not locking in place. Is it possible this 2 inch lift is the issue? Also when I unplug both vac lines it still grinds. But doesn't grind in 2wd. I have read the post above also but didnt recall anything about this certian issue. We just got 12in of snow and im on furlough due to the shut down so I need to figure this out. Thanks for your help

Old 02-10-2019, 10:08 AM
09 fx4 new issue

Still haveing issues with truck here are 2 scenarios I have come up with. Can anyone confirm.?

1. Even when the lines to the IWE is disconnected I still fail to get into 4x4. Could it be the 2 inch leveling kit binding up the iwes and keeping it from working?
2. I have done so reading and alot of folks say you have to apply vaccume when installing the shafts to aviod pushing the iwes out and possible ripping or breaking them. I did not do this upon install I just shoved the CV through the hub and bolted on. Could that also be an issue?

I have read the "everything you need to know" post a few times and understand how it works its just odd both sides do not work

Quick Reply: f150 IWE