F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Other Powertrain (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain-15/)
-   -   Throttle locking up (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain/519217-throttle-locking-up.html)

FnF-Ringer 09-08-2018 04:26 PM

Throttle locking up

This may not be on the right forum but I'd thought I'd ask. I just got a 02 F150 from my wife's grandfather and he didn't take the best care of it, nore drive it to much the last the last 2 years. But I have noticed a problem but I'm not 100% sure the cause but here's what I've read notcied. Is after I set the cruise control and I have to slow down it works fine, I press the break it slowed down right everything's good, but after I go to start getting speed and near the speed I had the cruise set to before the gas pedal locks in place my RPMs lock out at 5k and when I press on the break nothing happenes, this has happened twice and both times I just shifted to neutral turned off the engine then turned it back on and had not problems. Nothing I've found online has really helped and was wanting to see what everyone's thoughts was. I'm thinking it might be the cruise control brake but not 100% sure.

ManualF150 09-08-2018 05:58 PM

There is no cruise control brake.

However, you might be having a sticky throttle body or else the brake switch is going bad.

FnF-Ringer 09-08-2018 06:01 PM

I just noticed it was called a release switch.. how do I check the throttle body?

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 5241004)
There is no cruise control brake.

However, you might be having a sticky throttle body or else the brake switch is going bad.

ManualF150 09-08-2018 06:20 PM

You take off the air intake, remove the cable, and see how it operates. Also if it's crudded up, you'll see it.

glc 09-08-2018 09:49 PM

There is a recall on the disconnect switch on the master cylinder - inspect yours closely, if you see any fluid leakage, replace it.

FnF-Ringer 09-10-2018 08:50 PM

so I feel stupid the reason it was sticking is because the plastic housing had come loose and was sticking the throttle in the open Division I found this out by when it happened when I went to accelerate then merge onto the Interstate and throttle lock so I killed the engine, pull over to the side of the road and lifted the hood just to see if there's anything wrong and sure enough the throttle body lever was stuck inside the plastic casing moved the casing everything work just fine.. for now

ManualF150 09-10-2018 09:39 PM

Good news! Glad it was simple.

Reminds me of when I had my '03 Escape and the throttle spring somehow popped out of position. Talk about a fun ride the dealer... I was a two foot driver that day. Glad is was covered under warranty.

glc 09-10-2018 09:43 PM

My 4.2 did that - so I removed the plastic doghouse. It's not really needed, it's just a dust cover.