"Rub" from rear axle?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Rub" from rear axle?

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue. I have a 2006 5.4 SCAP with 125k miles on it. Sometimes, especially if the truck has been sitting, when I back out of my driveway and start to drive up my street on a slight uphill incline, I get a very rough vibration from the rear end. I read about possible rear drivetrain clutch issues??

Anybody know what this might be before I spend the $$$ to have it looked at.

Very much appreciate the input on this site. Has served me well for almost a decade now!!

Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Limited slip chatter generally only happens when you are starting off from a stop with the wheels turned. This can be taken care of with a differential lube change with a bottle of friction modifier. At 125k miles you should do this regardless. Use 75w140 full synthetic lube (any brand) and a bottle of XL-3 modifier from Ford.

Before doing this, verify that you do have limited slip. Look at the AXLE code on the door jamb sticker, it will be 2 digits. If the first digit is a letter, it's limited slip. If it's a number, it's not.

It's possible this is a parking brake issue.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Limited slip chatter generally only happens when you are starting off from a stop with the wheels turned. This can be taken care of with a differential lube change with a bottle of friction modifier. At 125k miles you should do this regardless. Use 75w140 full synthetic lube (any brand) and a bottle of XL-3 modifier from Ford.

Before doing this, verify that you do have limited slip. Look at the AXLE code on the door jamb sticker, it will be 2 digits. If the first digit is a letter, it's limited slip. If it's a number, it's not.

It's possible this is a parking brake issue.
Great info. Thank you!! You nailed it b/c it does happen from a stop with wheels turned. I will look into the lube change.

Any idea how time sensitive this is? Am I risking serious damage if I let it be for awhile???

Old 04-19-2018, 03:35 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The only damage you are risking is clutch failure, which will simply mean it's no longer a limited slip.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Nice. I'll get it looked at here soon....as soon as the work travel calms down. Thanks again!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Rub" from rear axle?