Shifted to 4L while driving and turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifted to 4L while driving and turning

hi guys,
i’m New to the forums and have a 98 expedition Eddie Bauer edition with a 5.4 blah blah blah lol (yes I know my truck very well and no I’m not playing the girl card)
my husband and I were driving in a snow storm a year and a half ago and when we were turning onto another road and we started slipping. He decided to
turn the 4wheel drive on and as we were turning hit a pile of snow and he accidentally turned it to 4L and boy did it sound horrendous. (Grinding and stuck in 4L) we were able to change it back to 2 wheel drive and it’s been fine since but only as a 2 wheel drive vehicle.
we have since changed out the actuator motor or whatever it is, but it still will not engage the 4 wheel drive. Has this happened to anyone else or are there any mechanically inclined individuals that may be able to give me some insight one what the next step would be??

Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
How fast were you going when he shifted to 4L? Unless you were going too fast, that shouldn't have caused a problem AFIK. Does you're truck have lockers or E-lockers? If so and you engaged them then that could have caused a problem, especially if you engaged them on a hard surface.

If it were me, I'd jack up all four corners of the truck and run it and see if the front drive shaft is turning when in 4WD. It sounds like he may have broken the front differential or the lockers. If so then you'll get power to the front diff but not to the front hubs.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm?

We were at a stop light in the middle of a snow storm. We started pulling off the line and just started spinning....​​​​​​.my hubby went to put the truck in 4H and didn’t think we would have any issues but there was a snow pile in front of us and he went over it at the same time as turning the ****.....turned straight to 4L. So I’m assuming we were maybe going 15-30 mph (we spinning tires so who knows) with all the noise we heard that night was horrendous.....grinding whining etc.
we drove the truck at high rpms in what I’m assuming was 4L and couldn’t do more than 30-40 mph. My father in law and husband went under the truck and physically put the truck in 2H.
The next day he went under the truck put it in all wheel drive and I ended up getting stuck in neutral thinking my transmission was shot. He came to the rescue put the truck back in all wheel again and the same thing happened. I told him to just put it in 2H and leave it.(I was almost to my destination by then) we had to completely “unplug” motor. We put the new actuator motor in and still won’t engage.
He took the rear diff apart and replaced the seals (the passenger side ruptured....not going into details on that) refilled the fluid etc. still won’t engage. The front doesn’t make any noise or anything.
This year he ended up getting stuck (during a snow storm) and got it out by putting the truck into 4L it kind of engaged but not completely ....I’m not too sure. I want to take it to the shop but I don’t want the bill.....being we don’t know what he repair will be. He can hear it engage supposedly but it doesn’t lock in.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to the forum, meljen18. I've moved your thread out of the Comments and Suggestions (about the forum), into a section where it may get more attention. We've got some pretty sharp people here and I'm sure someone will be along with some good ideas.

- Jack

Old 03-18-2018, 04:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It should NOT have gone into 4L if it wasn't in Neutral with your foot on the brake.

Quick Reply: Shifted to 4L while driving and turning