Limited power while towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited power while towing

I have a 2000, 5.4L, 4R70W tranny, 3.55 axle. The problem I am having is that after towing I sometimes have limited power to the drive train.

Example: I tow my camper (roughly 4500-5000lbs) about 10 miles from my house. There is a rather steep 1 mile grade right before the campsite. I get to the site its a pull through on a steep hill. I try going up the hill, but no matter how much gas I give it it will not move. Try 4 low same result. I give up. Two days later when we are leaving, I hook up thinking I'm gonna have to back out, but I give it a little gas and it goes up the hill like it's nothing.

I'm thinking the transmission is getting hot and the computer is limiting the power to the tranny. But there are no warning lights. I have a transmission cooler. I checked today and the line going out of the cooler is a little colder then the line going in, so I think I'm getting flow through the cooler. I checked the transmission fluid, it is a pretty pink, not burnt at all. But it is well above the hot level on the dipstick. Could it being over filled cause the issue I'm having or is there something I'm missing?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It very well could be.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Are you sure your trailer brakes aren't sticking?

I would do a complete transmission fluid change. Drop the pan and also drain the torque converter. Pan gasket is reusable unless it's damaged. Use a quality Mercon V fluid or a compatible synthetic.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgope
I have a 2000, 5.4L, 4R70W tranny, 3.55 axle. The problem I am having is that after towing I sometimes have limited power to the drive train.

Example: I tow my camper (roughly 4500-5000lbs) about 10 miles from my house. There is a rather steep 1 mile grade right before the campsite. I get to the site its a pull through on a steep hill. I try going up the hill, but no matter how much gas I give it it will not move. Try 4 low same result. I give up. Two days later when we are leaving, I hook up thinking I'm gonna have to back out, but I give it a little gas and it goes up the hill like it's nothing.

I'm thinking the transmission is getting hot and the computer is limiting the power to the tranny. But there are no warning lights. I have a transmission cooler. I checked today and the line going out of the cooler is a little colder then the line going in, so I think I'm getting flow through the cooler. I checked the transmission fluid, it is a pretty pink, not burnt at all. But it is well above the hot level on the dipstick. Could it being over filled cause the issue I'm having or is there something I'm missing?
You could well be right. This may also be a sign that it’s time to consider something newer, with less issues. I drove an 02 F150 with 5.4 and upgraded to a 2011 with 5.0 with 3.55. The HP and torque were worlds difference. Towed a boat in the 3500 lb range and on the 2011 towed a 29 foot 7000+ lb travel trailer. The 5.0 never saw a moments hesitation. A bit over a month ago I upgraded to a 2018 with 3.5 and 3.55 with 10 speed. Again worlds apart from even the 5.0. Part of this is transmission. You have a 4 speed I believe. The 5.0 has a 6 speed and the newest has a 10 speed.
If you keep your truck, have the transmission serviced. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Limited power while towing