Vibration from Driveline

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration from Driveline

Good Afternoon,

I have a 2014 F-150 Crew Cab, 5.0 6 speed auto that has developed a driveline vibration.

The dealer had replaced both front hubs for the 4x4, the drive shaft as well as the carrier assembly and bearings in the differential.

It's there, it's hard to feel, but you feel it in the seat and your feet, and after a long drive, you can sense the effects of this vibration.

I crawled under it the other night, I can grab the drive shaft and literally move it up and down quite a bit at the transmission shaft.

There are 5 other F-150s in the parking lot at work, all the others with the exception of one, have ZERO play or movement in the shaft where it exits the transmission.

The one that does is basically the same exact truck as mine, the play is minimal compared to mine.

Has anyone else had this issue? I just picked it up at the dealer, they have no answer for me.

Anyone know here I can find a spec for this? Anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks guys!

Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 AM
I just purchased a 2014 Crew cab with only 8,000 miles. I experience a vibration between 55-60 MPH. You can not only feel it, but you can visibly see the passenger head rest moving. I had the tires rotated, but not balanced when I had an oil change. I am going to take it and have them balanced soon as the three year warranty is almost up. I am hoping it is just the tires. The truck was actually only driven 1,000 the last year prior to me purchasing it, so the tires may be flat spotted. If that doesn't fix it I will start looking under the truck.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Hopefully, it's just your tires. I am now on my fourth set of IWE actuators, a carrier assembly and a driveshaft noted in my original post as well as the rear half of the transfer case, which has cured the issue of the driveshaft flopping around, however, it still vibrates.

I stopped by the dealer last night to get something out of it and they had some Rotunda NVH meter connected to it with wires running everywhere.

I guess someone will be driving it home tonight to see what is going on with it. It's the first time I have seen any diagnostic instruments connected to it.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM
I have a 2013 SCrew 4x4 and I get a vibration at 55-60 (about 1500 rpm with the 5.0L). I'm hoping it's the slip yoke on the driveshaft or a carrier bearing. I've had it a year now and it seems to be getting worse. 54k miles. Hopefully I'll find some of that thing called "free time" and crawl under and check things out. I do know that there was a span of years that used nickle-plated slip yokes with no grease and they've been going back and lubricating them with a teflon grease.