Changing rear gearing / LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing rear gearing / LS?

I have what may seem like a stupid question, but I've got to ask anyway. I have a 3.55 limited slip rear differential. When I eventually go from 33" rubber to 35", I will definitely be wanting to change the gears to at least 4.10's. If I change the gears, will I still have the limited slip, or is that something that is a function of the differential rather than the ring & pinion gears

Thanks!

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*BFG 285/75/16 AT KO's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*tint/vent visors/air deflector
(no, I did NOT get stuck in
the accessory dept. at K-Mart!)

[This message has been edited by JonC (edited 11-10-2000).]

Old 11-10-2000, 08:04 PM
JonC,

You will only need to change the ring and pinion. You can keep the limited slip. If it were me, I would give serious consideration to changing to 4.30's or even 4.56's with 35" rubber. Just my opinion.

BTW: I like the comment at the end of your sig.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, Torsion bars cranked up 2.5 turns. Needs one more door.

Old 11-12-2000, 04:51 PM
Cool

Thanks for the advice! I'll do some more serious research into ratios whan it comes time to change, probably next summer. I'm still happy with the performance right now and I'd porbably have to live in the truck if if I replaced tires AGAIN this year AND had to change gears to accomodate the change. Glad to hear I'd still have the limited slip function!
The comment at the end comes from being accused of just that by an old friend back in the 80's when I owned a (ashamed to admit this now!) a heavily "accessorized" Nissan p/u... I look at pictures of that thing now and cringe... can't believe I thought it looked good! Oh well, I'm sure a lot of us did things in the 80's we'd rather not admit to. Disco... need I say any more?

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*BFG 285/75/16 AT KO's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*tint/vent visors/air deflector
(no, I did NOT get stuck in
the accessory dept. at K-Mart!)

Quick Reply: Changing rear gearing / LS?