Is Amsoil worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do y'all think of halvoline I'm thinking about using it from now on its one of the cheapest oils at walmart for 13 bucks for 5 qts, all oil has gotton expensive I just Don't see the need in buying expensive oil anymore cause I always change it every 3k. With a motorcraft filter of course :P

Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Unlike Scamsoil, you can believe Exxon Mobil's website:
If you think M/E won't deceive you my friend, I have some ocean front property for you in Arizona. Remember a little storm named Katrina? It put all of M/Es PAO production of of business for over 6 months. Where do you think they got the base oils to make their Mobil One? They only had about 30 days supply on hand so any clue on your part? Simple really but it's like anything else, if you have the technology to get answers it's fairly easy. One of the petrochemists up in the NE sent out emails as to anybody testing M1 for gas chromotography and their results. Well a few of the labs just for fun tested it and things got real interesting. It was no longer a PAO at all but a cheesy Gp III base oil, the same kinda crap they hammered Castrol about not being a "true" synthetic. Did Mobil bother to state that in their advertising? No, of course not. They're not going to kill their cash cow. When directly asked about their reformulation the only answer they would give was that they use only the finest synthetic fluids. You can ask today, years after Katrina, and they'll still give you the same deceptive answer. I'm not knocking their products but as far as deceptive, they rank with likes of Amsoil as well as others making absurd claims. About the only oil company out there that will give straight up honest answers is Chevron. You can pretty much take anything they tell you to the bank. The others, why ask when you already know yer gonna get a blow job for an answer.

And what about oil caps? I've never seen an oil cap with a brand on it.
There is no answer for your ignorance.

And they keep asking at the lab why I bother to post on any website. Hmmm, maybe they're right and I'm wrong.....all that education and experience shot to hell...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah I see how it is. I brought up a valid point about who uses Mobil 1 as a factory fill and you turned it into "an oil cap with a name on it" which frankly I have never seen. I'm not at all implying they don't exist. I personally have not seen one (that I remembered anyway) and hence this is not where my statement of who gets factory fills comes from....but that makes me ignorant!! Ok. So I think I am getting the picture now.

If the facts don't agree with your facts then its hog wash and the person is ignorant. Websites using automotive names, brands and so end up being shut down or having to pull content that is being used without proper consent. For example if Shell really is the factory fill in the Vettes as you claim then I would imagine Shell would be raising hell with Chevy over the content allowed on Mobil 1 site. Also Shell would want these bragging rights. Mobil 1 does not claim to be the factory fill in every Mercedes, just certain ones but you insist they all use wolf. As **** as Mercedes is about quality, performance, name and reputation do you really think they would allow this false advertising to persist? Doubt it.

We may never know without visiting a production line what really goes in a car. But I will say this, when I have been to purchase supercharger oil at the local Chevy-Cadilac-GMC store Mobil 1 is what was on the shelf. Not exactly rock solid proof either but thus far you have posted nothing but words, came in midst of two threads on this subject to tell everyone how wrong they all are and haven't produced a shred of proof with respects to any of your claims for any oil. Just your words.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay so here is a thought... Lets go off our use and how long. Then our age.
I used Castrol GTX 10w40 until I joined the Marine Corps in "87" in a "63" dodge dart with 415,000 mile on it. In "91" I started Molil 1 10x40 In a "77" Datsun 720 pick up Daily driver show truck until 1994 then changed to Mobil 1 synthetic after doing a head gasket when the engine had 236,000 mile on it. 1994 I had a 92 Grand Am GT/SC with 29,000 miles, original owner used nothing but mobil 1 and had reciepts to prove it. I changed it over to mobil1 synthetic and put an additional 200,000 miles on it with out a hick up. It's still running today 11 years later. 98 Lexus GS300 with 278,000 miles all with mobil 1 synthetic, 84 Toyota king cab 4x4 on 38 inch tires with 193,000 miles started with mobil 1 and in 1999 switched to synthetic the last 87,000. My nephew drives it now still with synthetic and He has had it for 6 years now. My 2001 f150 has 128,000 all mobil 1 synthetic. So if my math is half *** right My wife or I have driven a combined on mobil 1 or mobil 1 synthetic 1,064,000 miles and driving 29 years. That should say plenty for Mobil 1 products. But like I said sarcasticly earlier, Blow your money, I'm glad it's not mine. Well I didn't quite say that but close enough...lol

Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I run amsoil throughout my whole truck and i really like it, works really well if my cousin wasn't a dealer for amsoil i most likely won't run it because its a little on the pricy side but its worth the cheaper price for me and i also put on about 18,000 a year. but I've ran all of the oil everyone is mentioning and i really couldn't tell you much difference.

Last edited by blkstallion; 01-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
With Mobil-1 climbing to around $28 for 5 quarts at Walmart recently (and Costco for that matter), Amsoil is not much more expensive.

I think that Amsoil is better than most for some applications. I know that the Mobil-1 EP in my generator got quite thick when it ran hard for several days straight. I could clearly see that the oil thickened when comparing the cold dirty oil to cold new oil. Amsoil's 4-stoke oil has MUCH lower volatility than Mobil-1, so it will do better here.

Another point, I had a friend run Mobil-1 for 15K miles in his Explorer, changing the filter at 7500 miles. His UOA showed that the oil was too acidic at 15K miles. Amsoil typically has a much higher TBN, so it resists becoming acidic longer. It seems that having a higher HT/HS will help delay cam lobe wear - if your engine lasts a long time, the cam can wipe. There are several things to consider. If you really care, it is worth checking the various UOAs posted under Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Really?? Yes Walmart has up'd Mobil 1 to $27.19 for a 5qt container. When I looked into Amsoil a few weeks ago I was seeing a 4qt container for $41. $13 and still a qt short and you gotta ship it.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by 2009KR
With Mobil-1 climbing to around $28 for 5 quarts at Walmart recently (and Costco for that matter), Amsoil is not much more expensive.

I think that Amsoil is better than most for some applications. I know that the Mobil-1 EP in my generator got quite thick when it ran hard for several days straight. I could clearly see that the oil thickened when comparing the cold dirty oil to cold new oil. Amsoil's 4-stoke oil has MUCH lower volatility than Mobil-1, so it will do better here.

Another point, I had a friend run Mobil-1 for 15K miles in his Explorer, changing the filter at 7500 miles. His UOA showed that the oil was too acidic at 15K miles. Amsoil typically has a much higher TBN, so it resists becoming acidic longer. It seems that having a higher HT/HS will help delay cam lobe wear - if your engine lasts a long time, the cam can wipe. There are several things to consider. If you really care, it is worth checking the various UOAs posted under Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?

I've got a novel idea: use a API certified oil, change your oil at manufacturer's recommended intervals, you don't have to worry about your oil, your engine will stay healthy, and clean, and you don't have to do UOA!

B.T.W. Standard UOA at Blackstone Labs is $25 plus shipping. If you get TBN tested, that's an additional $10. This cost alone will cover an oil change (with non-Scamsoil oil)!!!

Last edited by Takeda; 01-27-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Takeda
I've got a novel idea: use a API certified oil, change your oil at manufacturer's recommended intervals, you don't have to worry about your oil, your engine will stay healthy, and clean, and you don't have to do UOA!

B.T.W. Standard UOA at Blackstone Labs is $25 plus shipping. If you get TBN tested, that's an additional $10. This cost alone will cover an oil change (with non-Scamsoil oil)!!!
Brilliant idea!!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You two should get married

Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
You two should get married
At least I wouldn't have to worry about money being pissed away.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 01-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Really?? Yes Walmart has up'd Mobil 1 to $27.19 for a 5qt container. When I looked into Amsoil a few weeks ago I was seeing a 4qt container for $41. $13 and still a qt short and you gotta ship it.
Last July the wholesale price for gallons of SSO 0w-20 and 0w-30 was $31.90. If you find somewhere that will sell it to you at wholesale prices, it's not much more expensive than Mobil-1 anymore.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by 2009KR
Last July the wholesale price for gallons of SSO 0w-20 and 0w-30 was $31.90. If you find somewhere that will sell it to you at wholesale prices, it's not much more expensive than Mobil-1 anymore.
Don't forget shipping!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Takeda
Don't forget shipping!
And the if you can find at x price. BS wasting time shopping for a deal on oil. Tires and parts sure. But oil that isn't any better than anything else...I think not.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone should just burn 'Takeda's' soapbox down or hide it !

Quick Reply: Is Amsoil worth the price?