4.56 Gears in About 2 Weeks!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gryphon would be my favorite mod, so much torque ad power, there's a mileage increase but I dont know what
Next would be the efans, they freed up a ton of low end power for me
Then headers/custom dual exhaust, but this could also be a favorite because of the sound

I have custom tunes on the way, plan on underdrive pulleys and an upgraded tranny, not sure which route but probably a BCAuto valve body upgrade

The headers I purchased from sparkteckmotorsports, just google them, for 500 shipped including the resonators and y pipe it was at the time a good deal. You can now get a set of headers off ebay for about 250 I believe. Not sure on which replica it is but obx makes quality stuff

I would depending on what reviews we got on the new set of headers from ebay (if they are a new set) would probably be the route i'd go along with some high flow cats with preinstalled bungs, x pipe and a round body 18" di/do with 4" tips

And the headers are probably a mechanics job, if your a small time diy that is. It's not really that hard, just have to get the right tools and a lift would make the job a lot easier

Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 PM
So can anyone tell if I have to pull the front driveshaft when running mismatched gears, the front wont be engaged for whatever reason, if im stuck which she will be running on the street for a couple more months ill have a buddy pull her out ha

If so the gears will have to wait about a month as itll be a $1400 job including gears and install instead of 700

Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Parts for the gears have been in for a few days now

boy they're heavy and I've gotten a great bid on having gears installed, $320 at 4wheelparts, which to me was quite surprisingly cheap.

So I will probably head on over there sometime this week, I'm thinking wednesday.

Until then,

Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Keep us posted !!!!!! And put that Iphone to work to.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow man, great deal on install. are they giving you any warranty?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Definitely a great deal. I thought it was a mechanic i'd emailed and re-read the email today, from 4wheelparts but ill ask about a warranty.

I am assuming they would only warranty the parts/labor if both were through them. Who knows :s

Yeah ill try to get some vids up (or it didnt happen right?!)

Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Did you get them installed?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
2009 F150online Truck of the Year

Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
You do not have to pull the driveshaft if you run mismatched gears. Just remember that if you or someone else accidentally puts it in 4 wheel drive you will destroy your transfer case and possibly alot of other parts. I recently purchased 4.56 gears and install kits from Accuautoparts.com and got a great deal on Motive gears. They even threw in a free t-shirt and installation DVD. I did the install's myself--front and rear after watching their DVD. The front was easier because I removed the diff and did the gears on a workbench. The rear I had to do on my back in an unheated garage. It was actually pretty easy to do myself--much easier than when I installed long tube headers. So far I've driven about 50 miles on the new gears and no noise.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by JDIG
You do not have to pull the driveshaft if you run mismatched gears. Just remember that if you or someone else accidentally puts it in 4 wheel drive you will destroy your transfer case and possibly alot of other parts. I recently purchased 4.56 gears and install kits from Accuautoparts.com and got a great deal on Motive gears. They even threw in a free t-shirt and installation DVD. I did the install's myself--front and rear after watching their DVD. The front was easier because I removed the diff and did the gears on a workbench. The rear I had to do on my back in an unheated garage. It was actually pretty easy to do myself--much easier than when I installed long tube headers. So far I've driven about 50 miles on the new gears and no noise.
Sorry, I dont mean to Hi Jack this thread, but JDIG did you already have the tools to do the install? how long did it take to install them? and werent you nervous to to this? I have done everything on many trucks over the years except gears, I want to do mine but thats the one thing that makes me nervous! Guess I need to just do it!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I wasn't nervous to do the gears. My father is an engineer and my grandfathers were mechanics and machinists so tinkering with stuff is in my blood. The grand total for Motive front and rear gears and install kits with Timken bearings was $704.84 including free shirt and DVD. I own basic hand tools and a bearing puller so the only tools I had to buy was a dial indicator with a magnetic base ($20 on ebay), an inch/Lb torque wrench ($20 on ebay) and some steel pipe that fit over the pinion gear shaft and was the same diameter as the inner surface of the pinion bearings(Home Depot). I didn't have access to a press so I used a bearing puller to pull off the old pinion bearings and some steel pipe and a small sledge hammer to gently tap on the new pinion bearings. I ground out the inside of the old bearings with my rotozip and used them to set the pinion depth. I worked about 2-3 hours after work every other day for 3 weeks installing a pro-comp lift and front and rear gears in my truck. Using the marking compund to check the gear pattern was the most important part of the installation. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do gears again myself. The pro comp lift was extremely easy to install also.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
haven't had a chance yet to get them installed, should be off tomorrow to have them done

Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
awesome man! i just found out that a guy i work with knows how to install gears, so hes doing them for free!! so now i want to get a locker with the extra money.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
jealous! but good work on getting free gears installation

wish I could

nonetheless got some crappy vids from my iphone of what the truck is like now, no 0-60 or hard run figures but i know what my 0-60 is and will compare to the 4.56 gears once theyre broken in along with highway mileage, city driving etc

Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
well that will one thing you can mark off your wish list!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.56 Gears in About 2 Weeks!