Rear diff imploded today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear diff imploded today...

Well i was thinking, over the past couple of days, every once in a while there seems like there might have been a shutter coming from the back of the truck while im driving but when i would really focus in on it to see if i wasn't just imagining it or whatever it would go away or i wouldn't feel it. Anyway so today im driving to work and the rear of the truck is bouncing rough as hell. Im like am i imagining that or something cause it hadn't ever felt this severe when i thought i was feeling something.

So i pull over to check make sure i don't have a lose wheel or somethings wrong with the leafs since i just had a AAL added not that long ago. Everything looks fine..get in my truck back up quickly and pull it down into drive and pl000000w!!!!.....chattter chatter chatter engine revs trucks not moving. Put it into park turn it off. Turned i tback on put it in drive barely touch the gas it moves with alot of resistance and bumpin and chattering. So quickly stopped turned her off and called the tow truck.. I pretty sure its the rearend what do some of the experts think? I had my 4.88's installed earlier this year but i really hope it's not the ring or pinion gears. Do ya'll think it could be the spider gears? Or whats it sound like to you? This just is just a terrible time for this to happen since i just ordered my 35x12.50x17 km2's about a week ago and were not cheap! I figure whatever it is its gonna run me atleast 500 and that would be good i think....

Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hope you got a warranty with whoever put your gears in!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:05 AM
You don't get warranties when you get your parts online

Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
More like around a grand to get it done.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I was thinking about it and when i was driving the reaon i pulled over was the back end was bouncing real rough but it seemed to stop when i let my foot off the gas. It could be the transmission. I was late for work didn't rly have time to investigate but the tow truck driver said he thought it might be the transmission since it rolled forward while it was in park while he was loading it. Also that could just be a broken pinion??

Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 AM
What trans do you have? If you have a 4r70w, I'd suspect that also.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Yea its a 4r70w, its a weakling. I'd rather it be the rearend if i had to choose one to have repaired..

Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Ok quick question im gonna go tommorrow and figure out forsure if its the transmission or the rearend. Once i take the driveshaft out, how do i engage the 4wd, I've always been under the impression that you have to be doing about 10-15mph right(4wd on the fly)? I figure if its the transmission it won't go or it wil have trouble but if its the rearend it won't hurt anything since the driveshaft is disconnected? How do i go about engaging it while not moving?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Nope, you can be stationary to engage 4WD. Just jack up the rear, - trans in neutral and spin by hand with the truck off (not running). You should be able to tell. If not, pull the shaft. I don't think it's the trans.

Just don't run it up in the air , then stick your head down there. That could be lethal if one or the other blows apart.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-11-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 AM
Alright thanks man.. Yea i don't think the dude knew what he was talking about cause i mean if the pinion broke, even if its in park its gonna roll i would think.. Much rather it be the rearend

Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Sounds like rear end to me, but not a broken pinion. Jack up the rear (on stands) with the front wheels blocked and the trans or t-case in neutral. Check for backlash (rotational slop) at the pinion flange (where the d-shaft attaches). Also, check for rotational noises as you spin it around and for in and out slop. THat's what you would see of the pinion nut that came loose, though. If the nut came loose, your R&P are likely wiped out.

Another possibility is a spider or side gear issue, WHich has symptoms like you describe. You'll feel that by spinning each wheel. Do you have a locker or Limited slip? If so that could be an issue in a similar way.

Ultimately, you'll if you can isolate it to the rear axle, even if you can't tell what it is from the outside, pulling the diff cover will tell the tale. Have something there, a sieve or colander, to catch some of the chunks and hen you can figure out what they are. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM
31 spline heavy duty motorsport raer for 1200 or get an auburn for 1500 need opinions quick!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I have the Auburn and like it. The cone clutches in the Auburn are a bit smoother than the Motorsports (just a Traction-Lok with a higher bias ratio) unit. The Auburn will generally last longer than the Traction-Lok but you can usually get more one rebuild out of the Traction-Lok, where the Auburn is generally not rebuildable once it's worn out, but will go twice as far as the Traction-Lok (usually).

IMO, the idea is the Detroit Truetrac, which is virtually forever, effective and bulletproof. Check into the price for your 8.8. If they had made one for my 10.25 SF, I'd have it.

So tell us about what happened... diff grenaded?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Pardon my non tech talk but the pin that has the spider gears on each end completely tore thru the carrier unit broke it into multiple pieces.. He said the big tires(35x12.50s) is what killed it. Ill post the pic I have later.

Last edited by offroadn'98; 12-13-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
And thanks for the help jim

Quick Reply: Rear diff imploded today...