Rear Driveshaft Universal Joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Driveshaft Universal Joint

i was told i need to get one changed for my 2004 Ford F150 Fx4 4x4..its also go the 5.4l engine...i was told i needed to get my rear Universal Joint changed on my Rear Driveshaft...i was told that it costs 170.00 for the Joint and 2.5 Hours to change...and that Only the Ford Dealership can change them..How hard is it to change the Universal Joint and can it be a DIY Job...

Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 AM
the u joint cost 104 $ from advanced and is nearly impossible to change because you dont have the regular clips that hold it in it has to be cut out i needed newones for my truck my ford dealership never did them b4 and suggested a new drive shaft with serviceable u joints so i had my friend look at it who is a machanic and even firstone they all said they didnt know how to do them, so i brought it to a drive train shop and they guy said he could do all for 500$ new u joints but he said he couldnt guarentee that it wouldnt shake or make noises after so he suggested a new drive shaft as well for another 150 bucks with serviceable joints so i said well thats a no brainer so i got a new drive shaft with serviceable u joints that in the end only cost about 20 a pieace instead of 100$ and i had it custom made longer for my lift, i hope that answers your question and to do it yourself i wouldnt i would just get a new drive shaft, sorry for the bad news

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
thanks MuDDigger...I will go and talk to the local drive train shop here and see what they can do about it...

Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM
so what happened

Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM
ive been so busy the last few days with Lobster Season Opening...i have not been able to take care of my truck yet..Gotta use the other truck for a little bit till i get er all fixed up...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:08 AM
any updates

Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
the u joint cost 104 $ from advanced and is nearly impossible to change because you dont have the regular clips that hold it in it has to be cut out i needed newones for my truck my ford dealership never did them b4 and suggested a new drive shaft with serviceable u joints so i had my friend look at it who is a machanic and even firstone they all said they didnt know how to do them, so i brought it to a drive train shop and they guy said he could do all for 500$ new u joints but he said he couldnt guarentee that it wouldnt shake or make noises after so he suggested a new drive shaft as well for another 150 bucks with serviceable joints so i said well thats a no brainer so i got a new drive shaft with serviceable u joints that in the end only cost about 20 a pieace instead of 100$ and i had it custom made longer for my lift, i hope that answers your question and to do it yourself i wouldnt i would just get a new drive shaft, sorry for the bad news
Would this be true on a 2000 ???, mine has a squeak starting. Hear it on braking and sometimes on a slow coast.
Crawled under her tonight and gave it a soaking of wd and started to make plans of U-joint replacement before the wknd.

Tell me im safe.. and it's the old style swap out ... drop shaft ,press and beat...beer's...few choice words...fixed :

If it's a new drive shaft???....well there goes my wknd..ouch

snow

Old 08-31-2010, 06:14 AM
no i dont think so...climb under there and see if you have the clips in the end of u-joint if you do have these clips than no you dont and i belieave its only for the year 2004-2005 or 06 they did this and than they changed their design... ford can do some pretty stupid **** with their trucks

Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
i went yesterday and got my rear Universal Joint put on at the Ford DealerShip..i never had the time to replace it with the servicable Ujoints..i never got my bill yet as i was fishing and didnt finish till 6pm last night,,i just called and owe 351.77 cdn for the ujoint and replacement..

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
no i dont think so...climb under there and see if you have the clips in the end of u-joint if you do have these clips than no you dont and i belieave its only for the year 2004-2005 or 06 they did this and than they changed their design... ford can do some pretty stupid **** with their trucks
Thanks digger, yes it has clips. I also found replacements at Auto Z and Advance in stock for $9-$18..not the 104 so I think im ok.

Now to get it out and beat it lol
Going to try a trick we use for BJ's on our sleds...put the joint in the freezer for a few hrs and the other pc in the sun.This helps them slip in easier due to hot and cold shrinkage...should work for the u- joint app too.

Good to see your all fixed Dawg, 351 is alot better then the 500+ that you thought it was going to be.

snow

Quick Reply: Rear Driveshaft Universal Joint