My Ford dealer won't install gears!!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ford dealer won't install gears!!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue-

I live in a relatively small town and we don't have any shops that have done much work on differentials. So I went to my local Ford dealership hoping that they would be interested in installing the gears but I guess not. They said that they would not do it because first off, it would void my warranty, and second of all, it would not meet emission standards anymore because of the new gear ratio, thus not allowing it to be properly inspected, and they would not work on a vehicle that would not pass inspection.

Is this all legit? Thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds legit if your emissions are that intense. Here in Georgia in my county they dont care about gears. As long as you pass the "smog" part of it they dont care about anything else. I do know some states are very picky on inspections.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It isn't that unusual for dealers to refuse to modify or even work on a modified vehicle. When I say modified, I'm speaking of engine mods.

My son ran into the engine mod thing when he took his modified Mustang to the local dealer. They declined to work on it.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Differential gears fail emissions?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Sounds like a load to me, but it isn't worth fighting because they probably cannot do them confidently. IMO, not a backyard thing, take it to a speed shop or something similar and pay to have it done right. I have heard of too many stories of people complaining about whining gears once replaced.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Differential gears fail emissions?
Not in D'ville, lol!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
MDK
yeah I wouldn't have a Ford dealer touch gears, the few delaerships here I've had work done contain a lot of high school rejects from the 70's. Probably can't do anything without the Ford repair manuals. If you have an offroad place around they're typically the best. Gears not passing emissions huh, that does sound like BS cause I've had a couple of trucks with aftermarket gears and I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with emissions. Yes it will void the warranty but just that area.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Well, MDK, you haven't let Bowditch work on your gearsets. I've probably installed over 200 gearsets over the years. Can do it with my eyes shut. Just put a set of 4.10s in an 06 Mustang in my garage a couple weeks ago. You must be talking about Wynne. They don't have anyone there that can do much of anything. I'm with you, though, how can gears affect "smog" tests?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't really see where it is that gears are going to affect a smog test. If nothing else has been done that changes actually emissions, which gears really shouldn't, then what is the issue. They probably don't want to install someones own parts, can't do it, or just don't want the work... imagine that.
Some shops just don't want the liability that may be associated with installing parts someone brings in with them..... what if they don't fit..... I worked at dealerships that worked on modified vehicles; even had a focus with nitrous in the shop.... toasted the motor because the way the nozzle had been fitted into the inlet duct had been secured with a nut inside the duct...which came off and got sucked in, toasting a piston. Of course, the guy didn't bring it in with the nitrous still connected though. Seen many trucks with mods too, if they don't cause the problems you are having, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
MDK
Originally Posted by bigbronc
Well, MDK, you haven't let Bowditch work on your gearsets. I've probably installed over 200 gearsets over the years. Can do it with my eyes shut. Just put a set of 4.10s in an 06 Mustang in my garage a couple weeks ago. You must be talking about Wynne. They don't have anyone there that can do much of anything. I'm with you, though, how can gears affect "smog" tests?
Yeah Wynne is who I'm talking about. The amount of toothless techs walking around there is amazing and when I had my window regulator and motor fixed it took two hrs over the promised time then when I got home I realized the door wasn't on correct...at all, so I had to take it back and it took them another hour to do that. Did I mention there were literally two people in the waiting room both times I was there that day. We bought our 08 at Hall which seems pretty good but so far I haven't been impressed when the Ford dealers around here.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM
MDK, if you are under warranty, bring it over here to Bowditch. We're on Warwick Blvd and Harpersville Rd. If you're not under warranty, I do work at the house on the side. Let me know either way.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Sounds like we have a Wynne wannabe in town. I'll try to find an offroad shop somewhere close. I hope I find one. I can't even seem to get my tires balanced correctly here, I guess gears are way to much to ask.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
MDK
Originally Posted by bigbronc
MDK, if you are under warranty, bring it over here to Bowditch. We're on Warwick Blvd and Harpersville Rd. If you're not under warranty, I do work at the house on the side. Let me know either way.
my trucks good, 3.73's w/lsd but If I go any crazier I'll look you guys up for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Ford dealer won't install gears!!