F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Other Powertrain (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain-15/)
-   -   4x4 Problems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain/365494-4x4-problems.html)

Green_o17 02-18-2009 08:43 AM

4x4 Problems

I have a 2004 XLT F-150. Just a few months ago, my 4 wheel drive has been acting up.

When I go to switch it into 4-hi.....it clicks like it went in, but then when I hit the gas to go, all I hear is a clicking noise, like it didnt fully ingage? When I switch it back to 2 wheel drive, it stops?

For some reason, its not engaging? Does anyone know why? Has anyone else had this problem??

Thanks for any help!

BlueBulletflech 02-18-2009 04:12 PM

I am have the exact same problem im not sure whats wrong either?

bigbronc 02-19-2009 05:47 AM

New body style 04s have vacuum operated front hubs. When vacuum is applied, they are "unlocked". With no vacuum, they are "locked". Sounds like you either have a vacuum problem, or a physical issue with one of the IWE hubs. Neither is uncommon. Each hub has two vacuum lines at it. The bigger one is the vacuum supply. Other is the vent. If you apply a vacuum pump to the big side at each hub, they should hold a vacuum. If not, then the hub is bad. The ratcheting noise you hear is the hub not staying engaged. I have seen it be from broken hoses, faulty hubs, solenoids, and even a reservoir that was blown out (it is behind the battery).

Green_o17 02-19-2009 10:37 AM

So it is going to be trail and error until I figure it out? Could be any one of those

Usually when I attempt to put it in 4-hi......it clicks....but when I take it out and try to put it back in again....it usually goes in the second time

hmm....sounds like its going to be lots of fun!

jreeder 02-19-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Green_o17 (Post 3596642)
So it is going to be trail and error until I figure it out? Could be any one of those

Usually when I attempt to put it in 4-hi......it clicks....but when I take it out and try to put it back in again....it usually goes in the second time

hmm....sounds like its going to be lots of fun!

I would start by checking the solenoid on the firewall behind the battery. Does it have a square plastic shield around it? They started adding the water shields in 2006 I think. If it doesn't have one, you should replace it regardless of whether or not it has already gone bad. Mine is a 2004 and water got in the solenoid, which eventually led to both actuators being ruined. The part is only about $30 from the dealer and takes 5 minutes to replace.

Green_o17 03-17-2009 01:00 PM

I called my local Ford dealer...they told me that I cant get a solenoid with the sheild on it? Since my truck is a 04?

Now, I have developed at rattling noise when I am driving around in 2wd.....when im on the gas, it rattles, when i let off, it stops......

Sometimes, I switch it to 4hi.....then back to 2wd......it stops for a while?

Anyone else have this problem?? What should I do/start with?

Thanks

Green_o17 03-20-2009 09:52 AM

So....I finally got the new Solenoid with the Shield.....installed it, and I still have the nosie

This was on a Tuesday.....I took it for a 30 mile drive, and the nosie started. So I stoped, put it in 4hi, then back to 2wd...the nosie stoped and I havent heard it in 3 days now?? I dont understand??

What I dont understand is why it would only do it once in a while?? It really makes no sense? I might just take the vaccum lines out and replace all of it, just to make sure there isnt something wrong with them...but then I dont know what else to do??

With all the troubles with this system, Ford should be doing something about it.....there are tons of people with the same problem?

What did you guys do to fix this problem?

GeorgiaF150 03-20-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Green_o17 (Post 3643764)
So....I finally got the new Solenoid with the Shield.....installed it, and I still have the nosie

This was on a Tuesday.....I took it for a 30 mile drive, and the nosie started. So I stoped, put it in 4hi, then back to 2wd...the nosie stoped and I havent heard it in 3 days now?? I dont understand??

What I dont understand is why it would only do it once in a while?? It really makes no sense? I might just take the vaccum lines out and replace all of it, just to make sure there isnt something wrong with them...but then I dont know what else to do??

With all the troubles with this system, Ford should be doing something about it.....there are tons of people with the same problem?

What did you guys do to fix this problem?

Have you installed spacers on your truck?

Green_o17 03-20-2009 05:38 PM

nope...no spacers