Fighting with dealership need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fighting with dealership need opinions

OKay i took my truck in wensday morning for a power steering pump and what i thought was the ujoints which are covered under my ford extra care warranty. It stayed there all day wensday and they called me and told me that the ujoint were good and the clunking sound was a dried out slip yoke and that wasnt under warranty. So they charged my 80.00 to grease the slip yoke. They called me at 10 this morning and said the truck is ready. I paid them the 100.00 deductable and the 80 dollars for the grease. Drove the truck about 3 miles and the clunk noise is still there when it shifts from second to first coming to a stop. So i took it back within about 10 mins and left the truck with them. He calls me at 4:00 today and says there is NOTHING WRONG with the truck and it runs as good as it can. I told him he was full of BS and i wanted to take the technician for a ride. He said okay the service manager came out and we went for a drive. He wouldnt even let me drive my own truck for the test drive he drove it. Well it clunked twice and he told me he didnt hear anything. Finally the third time it was so loud he couldnt help but hear it. So at the end he has the nerve to ask me if i wanted to leave it there or just take it. I told him i am leaving it there so it will get fixed. He told me 6 times he has no idea what the noise could be. The truck does not do the clunking when in first gear and come to a stop. 2nd gear no clunk but when you put it in OD and come to a stop it does the clunking noise 9 times out of 10. He tried to suggest it could be a suspension component but he wasnt sure. Has anyone had this problem and how do i deal with this dealership. Secondly should i get the 80.00 back for the grease when that DID not fix the problem. I dont know where i stand but tomorrow will be 3 days and still havent figured it out.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
OKay i took my truck in wensday morning for a power steering pump and what i thought was the ujoints which are covered under my ford extra care warranty. It stayed there all day wensday and they called me and told me that the ujoint were good and the clunking sound was a dried out slip yoke and that wasnt under warranty. So they charged my 80.00 to grease the slip yoke. They called me at 10 this morning and said the truck is ready. I paid them the 100.00 deductable and the 80 dollars for the grease. Drove the truck about 3 miles and the clunk noise is still there when it shifts from second to first coming to a stop. So i took it back within about 10 mins and left the truck with them. He calls me at 4:00 today and says there is NOTHING WRONG with the truck and it runs as good as it can. I told him he was full of BS and i wanted to take the technician for a ride. He said okay the service manager came out and we went for a drive. He wouldnt even let me drive my own truck for the test drive he drove it. Well it clunked twice and he told me he didnt hear anything. Finally the third time it was so loud he couldnt help but hear it. So at the end he has the nerve to ask me if i wanted to leave it there or just take it. I told him i am leaving it there so it will get fixed. He told me 6 times he has no idea what the noise could be. The truck does not do the clunking when in first gear and come to a stop. 2nd gear no clunk but when you put it in OD and come to a stop it does the clunking noise 9 times out of 10. He tried to suggest it could be a suspension component but he wasnt sure. Has anyone had this problem and how do i deal with this dealership. Secondly should i get the 80.00 back for the grease when that DID not fix the problem. I dont know where i stand but tomorrow will be 3 days and still havent figured it out.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/recalls/recall.php

Check the recalls and tsb's and see if any match your problems, print it out, and bring it to another dealer after getting your money back from the clowns at the place you went to.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Ask for the general manager or the owner. See if they can hear it or figure out what is wrong with the truck.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
They did hear it with the test drive with me in there they just have no idea where to start

Old 01-23-2009, 10:29 PM
WELL get ready to laugh on this one. after the truck was in there all day today the called me and said that the problem was a loose body bolt. they replaced it and guess what no more clunking. They said that was a actually pretty common problem and ive drove it for the last 4 hours and it hasnt clunked yet!!!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
so did they reimburse you for the grease?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
so did they reimburse you for the grease?
nope i paid 80 bucks for the bolt lol. They told me the "bolt" wasnt under warranty so he was swapping that with the labor for doing the bolt.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:28 PM
well drove it today and its back so im heading back over there monday

Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
this is crazy. Let us know the outcome. I'm subscribing

Old 01-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I know yours is an 03, but a friend of mine has an 05 which did the same thing, his ended up having the dealership replace the driveshaft, problem solved.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 AM
King, did you print out that last email I sent and show it to them? If you do, don't say where you got it.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
King, did you print out that last email I sent and show it to them? If you do, don't say where you got it.
I sent u a email. I totally forgot that the part guy gave me the part number for that slip yoke and the number you ran on the warranty isnt saying anything about a slip yoke. If you can run that number i sent you id really appreciate.Thanks for all your help im headed in there tomorrow morning and god i hope i can get threw to them

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-25-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM
i know a few people who had issue's when their trucks were under warrenty, they had to replace the ring and pinion. i know the yokes are an issue but you never know, but with out driving or hearing the actual noise its just a guessing game. diagnosing driveline noise's can be a pain to pin point.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Well took it in at 730 this morning and talked to the service manager and told him the deal and he went and got the shop foreman and we went for a ride. The first few clunks he said he didnt hear anything. after the 3rd one he heard it. He told me that in his opinion it was so minor that he wouldnt worry about it and to wait until it got a little louder so they can pin point it some more. I told him i have 91,000 miles on it and it will be out of warranty soon and dont want anything to fail after warranty just because they dont know what it is. So after some discussions they told me to come back in a week so the transmission guy can look at it. He is at "school" this whole week. Then i brought up to him about my slip yoke being under warranty and why they charged me the 80.00 for the grease. The service manager said he would take care of that next week also(THANKS BIGBRONC). I have a new diagnosis on what it sounds like. To me when it make the noise from 2nd to first it SOUNDS like a AC compressor that kicks on and off exact same type of noise.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Not a problem. Wish I could help more, but there is nothing that sounds similar to your symptom in TSB or SSMs on Ford. Texas is a little far to go for a test drive. I'm sure I could be able to get a handle on it if I could drive it. I'd try to keep some miles off of it for a little bit until it gets figured out. I know the transmission is covered if the problem is with that. Do you have a two piece driveshaft? Could be something stupid with the center support bearing if so. And if it is, there are two yokes on the rear shaft. If not, forget I said anything. Good luck.

Robbie

Quick Reply: Fighting with dealership need opinions