ZZZZZ noise from 4x4 hub after install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winding Noise in 2wd stops when in 4wd

OK so I just installed a 2.5" leveling kit on my o5 screw with an 8 inch rize kit. My genius helper thought it would be a good idea to let the upper control arm jus fall and hang out of the way while we were working. We got everything put back together, and took it for a test run. A loud zzzzzZZZZZZ noise coming from the passenger side of the truck(the side where the arm fell) I put the truck back in the air, and pin pointed the sound coming from the hub on back of the rotor. It doesnt make the noise when you are in 4wd, but if you jus free spin the hub in neutral, it makes the noise. Does anyone no what could have happened? This truck is kind a pivotal thing for me and cannot be grounded in my driveway.lol........ Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by gp1300r110; 01-18-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
TNC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best guess, you guys damaged or pulled off the vacuum line to the hub during the work you were doing. The IWE are normally ON, so a loss of vacuum or partial loss will cause them to try to engage. This way, if you're way out in BFE and lose vacuum, you will still have 4X4 capability. Otherwise, it's just a coincidence and the IWE has failed and your description is classic for these. Once in 4X4, vacuum is removed and the hubs are locked, so no noise. I'd check the lines first.

Quick Reply: ZZZZZ noise from 4x4 hub after install