no driveline section, so i post my question here!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no driveline section, so i post my question here!

My question is about the drive shaft for the 4x. There is a corigated rubber lining around the shaft that is addapted to the shaft more on one side then the other. What position should that rubber lining be toward the most, the front or the rear? Sorry i dont have a camera right now so i cannot get pictures.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Is it safe to assume whats under the rubber lining on mine is whats circled in the picture below?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There's a "Powertrain" forum here. That's were this should be posted.

Not sure what your asking ? I'll give it a shot. Under the dust cover is your slip spline. -Driveshaft position is correct from front to back. - BUT! You have to mark these in relation to the pinion gear - They are balanced and need to be re-installed the exact same way. Says this in every service manual I've read.

If it's to late for that , look closely for signs of how she was mated before you removed. - Maybe you'll get lucky. - If not, you could be in for a rough ride later

Last edited by jbrew; 01-16-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Oh trust me! The relations were marked with a slight line with a die grinder, when i took it off. I failed to do that on my 87' f250 460ci. I put new lockers in (back in those days) and U joints. Well, i went down a dirt road to test the 4wheel. Wen't into a plain field with about 8 inches of snow and just plowed through it at about 15mph. Jumped back on the dirt road and got to a main tarred road. Never did turn the 4hi off. Going about 50mph down the road, shes makin a harder and harder rattling noise as i accelerate, so i am thinking WTF? 2 miles down the road she starts grinding and grinding and vibrating then TING! Yes, i broke the 4x yoke. How the heak? Don't ask. But i only assumed it was not balanced right. Anyway, the 99 f1 runs and drives smooth in 4 hi and 4 lo. What i was talking about is covered with a rubber boot, that is circled in the pictureabove, acts as a shock. When i pushed it inward toward the opposite end of the shaft, it went inward. Its moveable. I dont know what it does but it works how its connected. I guess i just had to "guess" LOL.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 AM

Yea , it's right -

Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is there to allow for the slight differences in the location of the yoke on the t-case and the pinion yoke on the front differential. Also if it didn't telescope you would never be able to get it off.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
that joint is there because the end connected to the transfer case is stationary and the front diff moves up and down with the suspension. when i dropped mine it was rusted solid and had a hell of a time getting it freed up. if you take it down make sure you grease her good.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Wish there was a way to grease it without taking it apart. Mine moves so I don't need to. Lucky me

If I did have to tho, I might get me one of these -

I heard of guys using tile nippers on those clamps before, but I haven't seen that style of clamp for sale yet.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-18-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually the 97+ f-150 use a fixed front differential that only flexes under strain. But the t-case also flexes. Without the u-joints and the telescoping shaft it would eventually bend and destroy the bearings in the t-case and the front diff.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by irsurveyor
that joint is there because the end connected to the transfer case is stationary and the front diff moves up and down with the suspension. when i dropped mine it was rusted solid and had a hell of a time getting it freed up. if you take it down make sure you grease her good.
Thats what u-joints do. JMC was right, i had to push it inward so the shaft became shorter, in order to get it in place. It was fairly easy actually.

*JMC, that is the way i have mine so thats good. Thanks for the help, once again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no driveline section, so i post my question here!