Grinding after towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding after towing

Howdy all,
I towed a stock trailer with a quarter horse in it over the weekend. Total trip as approx 250 miles. Half way into my trip I started hearing a grinding sound when I would turn. Seems to be more prevalent in a right hand turn. I would also hear it when I started moving from a standstill going straight forward.

I am planning on change the fluid, but after reading some of the posts in here I am concerned that I might have a more serious issue going on. So do I change the fluid and see if that resolves the problem, or do I take it in and have a mechanic look at it?

Thanks,
Craig

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
is it a grinding or more of a popping noise. How heavy was the trailer loaded. I wouldn't think this is related to the towing more of just something that broke from stress and the towing just made it show up. IT could a numerous number of things if its a popping I had the same problem when turning right it was my right side axle shaft. Hope this helps

Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey Nick, thanks for the reply. It is defintely grinding vs popping. No other vibrations or noises noticed so far. The trailer had a 800# horse in it.
Craig

Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by HappeetxnR.N.
Hey Nick, thanks for the reply. It is defintely grinding vs popping. No other vibrations or noises noticed so far. The trailer had a 800# horse in it.
Craig

Ill try to help out in every way possible I tow everyday for landscaping so i should be able to figure it out if its like a grinding/shudder on cornering and you have a limited slip your clutch packs could be burnt. I know mine are but I didnt have the money to fix it so I changed the fluid and it helped my shudder.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 PM
It's most likely the clutch packs.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nick.schrandt
Ill try to help out in every way possible I tow everyday for landscaping so i should be able to figure it out if its like a grinding/shudder on cornering and you have a limited slip your clutch packs could be burnt. I know mine are but I didnt have the money to fix it so I changed the fluid and it helped my shudder.
Thanks, I appreciate it .

Originally Posted by RED4X4
It's most likely the clutch packs.
Any idea what this runs to have fixed?

Thanks again for the replies to this thread.

Craig

Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it .

Any idea what this runs to have fixed?

Thanks again for the replies to this thread.

Craig
It'll cost around what a gear swap will so if you decide to fix the problem you might as well get better gears considering it'll cost about the same. Gear swap w/out a locker/posi/lsd runs anywhere from $500 to $700 per axle. With a locker/posi/lsd it would be around $1000 per axle. If you decide to re-gear make sure you ask around a lot for who is the best gear guy around you because gears are very tedious, time consuming, and **** to change.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 AM
It'll cost around what a gear swap will so if you decide to fix the problem you might as well get better gears considering it'll cost about the same. Gear swap w/out a locker/posi/lsd runs anywhere from $500 to $700 per axle. With a locker/posi/lsd it would be around $1000 per axle. If you decide to re-gear make sure you ask around a lot for who is the best gear guy around you because gears are very tedious, time consuming, and **** to change.
Great info / advice. It bites but is something that needs to be done. I'll look into gear options and what to go with.

Appreciate it.
Craig

Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Great info / advice. It bites but is something that needs to be done. I'll look into gear options and what to go with.

Appreciate it.
Craig
If/when you're ready pm me and we'll talk gears.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 PM
If/when you're ready pm me and we'll talk gears.
Will do. Thanks.
Craig

Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Wrong.
If it is indeed the clutch packs it should not cost as much a re-gearing. You can buy $85 rebuild kits for the limited slip and do this yourself at home.
There are plenty of write-ups online about "rebuilding ford limited slips".
You may be throwing your money away if you don't try changing the fluid out first anyway, or correctly diagnosing the problem.

If you decide to re-gear, great. But rebuilding a limited slip should not cost as much as a re-gear.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
Wrong.
If it is indeed the clutch packs it should not cost as much a re-gearing. You can buy $85 rebuild kits for the limited slip and do this yourself at home.
There are plenty of write-ups online about "rebuilding ford limited slips".
You may be throwing your money away if you don't try changing the fluid out first anyway, or correctly diagnosing the problem.

If you decide to re-gear, great. But rebuilding a limited slip should not cost as much as a re-gear.
Thanks for the info. I have considered selling the vehicle and putting the money into my f-350. Decisions, decisions. I do appreciate all of the info y'all have thrown my way.

Craig

Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I have considered selling the vehicle and putting the money into my f-350. Decisions, decisions. I do appreciate all of the info y'all have thrown my way.

Craig

i would fix it and keep it. our year i think was the best year for these trucks. any truck that stands up to my abuse is a keeper

buy a kit and do it in the driveway i have before wasnt too bad.

i consider it a learning experience and if you need help pm me

Old 01-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks Nick. Still haven't decided what to do. If I do attempt the repair on my own I'll PM you with any questions.

Have a good one,
Craig

Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Nick. Still haven't decided what to do. If I do attempt the repair on my own I'll PM you with any questions.

Have a good one,
Craig

no problem its a pretty straight forward process but a lot of disassembling is required. Set aside at least a day since its your first time. Remember just take your time I am sure you will figure it out my truck has 350000 miles so everything in mine was burnt

Quick Reply: Grinding after towing