Navi -99 4WD, need info and help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi -99 4WD, need info and help

I´m having problems with my Navis 4wd.

Basic infos: 57tmls, rotary switch A4WD, 4H and 4L, fuses and wires ok, no vacuum relays/actuators, fluids are ok, no leaks, outside seems everything ok.

When I accerate from stop or from +100mph or something between those, there is loud banging when 4wd is needed. Today all roads were nothing but ice and 4Wd was needed and it sounded like there were heavyrock bands drummer performing fast drum-solo somewhere near transfer-front end, fast banging like with plastic hammer, not metal-like sound and that same noise is coming everytime I accelerate, when there's more traction, banging isn't so fast. 4WD is working, that I can tell. And same noise is coming when switch is in A4WD or 4H, and 4L is working also. There wasn´t any noise when electric shift motor was uninstalled for inspection and I drove only with 2WD (selected straight from transfers rotary cam).

Does anyone have this same problem?

How does that Navis Borg Warner TOD (torque/traction on demand) transfer works? Is there same electromagnetic clutch inside that works when rear and front axle speed difference increases enough and when axles are at same speed, electric shift motor turns rotary cam to 4WD-position? That banging sound like same clutch engages axles, then rear end slipping decreases and clutch disengages, then rear is slipping again and clutch is activated.... and so on....

It's going to be 4 months nothing but snow and ice here in Finland, so 4Wd is needed and I'm afraid that banging stops with big bang......

Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Transfer is checked and is ok.

I lifted front tires up and rotate one wheel and other wheel turned opposite direction,as it should do. When I turned by hand front propeller shaft (or what ever it is in Us-english), both wheels were rotating same direction. When turning axles, wheels etc by hand, there were nothing unusual, no noise, nothing.

I asked my friend to accelerate on ice and I watched and all 4 wheels were rotating/slipping, so now it is 100% sure 4wd is working.

Tonight I opened front differential and there is everything ok, conventional 8.8 diiferential without limited slip, no metal flakes, oil was ok.

So I guess that only thing that could make that sound, is cv-joint. Tomorrow I'm going to switch those drive shafts from side to side and try if noise is different.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
System is checked and problem seems to be transfer afterall....

It seems that transfer chain is loose or sprockets are worn out and when power is needed to front axle, chain is getting over sprockets.

Before I open that transfer, I try to find exploded view of transfer, does anyone have one? I would be grateful if someone have that or link where to find one.

Quick Reply: Navi -99 4WD, need info and help