Auburn gear manufacturer defect???

Old 12-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auburn gear manufacturer defect???

I was at the local shop getting ready to pick up the truck. I am getting 456 gears installed and an auburn gear posi. I showed up early to watch the last few parts get installed just to learn how it gets done and they took the speed censor off the old posi and tried to put it on the new one and it does not fit. The shop has to take it to a machine shop on Friday so get the right fit. Does this sound weird or is it normal? thanks in advance!
Formuladriver01

Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 PM
We're talking about the ABS tone ring right? My buddy put an Auburn in his truck and the tone ring just swapped over. It is a press fit so it stays put... Maybe Auburn doesn't machine all of their diffs for the ring? This truck was a mid 90s F150 with an 8.8 diff btw.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 PM
that is what I meant, the abs ring. I was at the shop watching try to put it on and there was no way it will go on unless it goes to the machine shop. I have a 9.75 diff. I am going to call Auburn on Fri. and get some tech. info. I will post up what I find out. I am just mad cause the truck has been down for about a month. The shop called and said come get your truck then this happened. I know its not the shops fault. i really like the shop. It is called O.R.I. in Yorktown Va. GREAT PRICES AND SERVICE!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the current Ford units on the Auburn website list that the tone ring will work. However I seem to remember, seeing a listing for a more agressive unit, a while back that stated it would not accept the tone ring. I believe it was an 8.8 diff however.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:04 PM
WTF!!!!!!!! Okay went to the shop this morning and they had the ring speed censor machined to fit on the auburn. I was watching the rest of the install and when it was time to put the carrier bearings on the auburn carrier the Fing bearings did not fit!! The bearings were from a master install kit and made by timkin. On auburn's web site it says it will except the speed censor, and nothing about getting different carrier bearings. I made sure I got the right posi. I tried calling auburn, but they are not open till Jan. 5. So now I have wait another day to get my truck back. Sorry I had to b$TCH somewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auburn gear manufacturer defect???