4x4 engages but has noise issue now....

Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

Can you believe I got 8" of snow last night, here in Central NY.
Because of the snow, I needed to use 4x4 High this morning to get out of the driveway.

Anyway, here's the info and my problem.

1998 F150, 4x4 (elec.), 5.4 V8, Ext. Cab.
I never had a problem with using 4x4 last winter. (no noises or grinding)
This morning, I switch to 4H to get out of the driveway. No problem, 4x4 engages right away, no noise, smooth transfer. I get on the road and hear a noise coming from the front end (drivers side).
The best that I can describe the noise is,
it sounded like a light grinding noise almost like when the anti-locks kick in, but not quite as loud as the anti-locks.
This noise was constant until I turned the switch back to 2H.
After I put it in 2H, it took a couple of seconds to disengage and the noise went away. Then while driving, 30 MPH, I throw it back in 4H, it engages fine, but then the grinding noise comes back. Again, I put it back to 2H, and noise goes away. I'm worried that it is not fully engaged.
I did search this site, but couldn't find any info for 1997-1999 4x4 grinding noise. I found plenty for newer model F150's.

Could really use some help on this one. We have some nice weather coming back, starting tomorrow, and I would like to get this fixed before the real snow comes.
By the way, checked through my manual and there wasn't much info on 4x4. transfer case etc.

Thanks in advance

TJKinCNY

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethat

I would crawl under there and inspect for stuff stuck to the axle. Stuff gets caught on it I pulled a bunch of fishing line off mine this summer.Then jack the truck up and check everything for loose/worn joints etc. Check the axle boots for wear/holes. if they get holes it kills them joints quick.

Thanks for the input Jethat.
I did inspect the entire drivers side wheel aasembly area and found no obvious debris.
I can't get a real close look at the boots until tomorrow when the snow is gone (no garage, just my barn. I will tear up the lawn getting to it)

Last December, I did install new wheel bearing assembly & upper ball joint assemble & lower ball joint on the drivers side. (I had to do this work to pass inspection) I had no problem with 4x4 all winter, so I can eliminate this as a cause.
The axle joint has no play the last time I checked it a couple of months ago. None of these parts have been any problem or produced any noise all year (while running in 2WD). I had changed my oil and while doing that I checked all of my fluid's, greased everything plus checked the axle joints and everthing was fine. I did check the front diff. case and it was full as well. (this was all done Aug. 08)

It sounds like the 4x4 isn't 100% engaged (guessing here) or completely meshed in. When I put it in 4x4, it goes right in, no clinking or clunking and I can feel the front tire grabbing right away. The noise appears when I get up on the road and drive up to normal speed. The faster I go, the louder the noise. (NOTE: it is not real loud but very noticable)

Does my 4x4 system have vacuum assist like the newer models. There is nothing in my manual to let me know.

ANY & ALL help is greatly appreciated.

TJKinCNY

Last edited by tjk_in_cny; 10-30-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The front axle may not be fully engaging when you shift to 4x4. Easy things first, pull the plastic cover off the shift motor on the front axle ans PB blast the shift lever and shaft of the motor. Then exercise it by shifting to 4x4 and back a few times. While you are under there look at the plastic vacuum tubes for cracks. They get brittle after a few years. I replaced mine because they had cracked. Follow them up to the solenoids on the firewall.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 10-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks JMC for your quick reply......

Can't thank you enough for the quick reply.
I have some nice weather coming, starting this afternoon.
As soon as the snow melts and it dries up, I will climb under it, probably this weekend.

I rechecked my repair manual and found the information for the 4WD, vacuum shift system. I had to go through the whole manual and found the info in the
"Clutch and Driveline section". There was nothing in the glossary
It has good pictures plus check and repair info. The information describes exactly what your telling me. Great Job
The only thing it isn't showing me, is where exactly is the vacuum shift motor.
I would run out and look but I would be climbing around in 6" of slush.
Thanks again and let me know where the vacuum shift motor is.
I'm not being lazy, I just want to go right to the correct area when I do get under there.

Appreciated,
TJKinCNY

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
JMC

See #10 on the top diagram.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
See #10 on the top diagram.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Your awesome JMC, thanks for the pic's.

TJKinCNY

Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
More help needed to locate and correct this 4x4 noise

Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, there's two lines -Pink and Blue . Runs to the Actuator on the axle. If you run thru salt frequently , the spray dries them up that much quicker.
Good call on the color of the lines. Checked the lines out and they are ok. with the truck running, I checked each hose for vacuum and they had what I think is good vacuum but I didn't throw a vacuum gauge on them. I checked vacuum at the solenoids and at the actuator on the axle.

Also if you have done and work on the truck over by the battery, those lines can get pinched very easily. These lines are in good shape I split both of mine working over in that area - not sure how I did that. Your solenoids are over there as well; on the firewall , make sure those are all connected.
connected and working properly

Not sure what would cause the noise you describe. Sounds like one wheel isn't getting locked in to me.this is exactly what is happening. Not fully in sync. it sounds like Try reverse from a stop, right after engaging. tried this proceedure, no change

Actuators can break right off the axle as well - seen that before. Actuator is mounted properly, and looked very clean in the area. I was changing between 2H & 4H, and the actuator worked properly, engaging and disengaging. I would go thru the air lines first, you might not be getting enough pressure to it Do you have the proper vacuum pressure I should be reading on my gauge. - to engage both wheels.

On the 98 , there's a rubber coupling on the passenger side fender-well below the battery - check that too.
where exactly is this coupling, and is it blue in color. I may have come across this today. If there isn't a problem with vacuum pressure, is it safe to assume this coupling is ok.

After looking things over and testing everything out so far,
I took a short (200-300yds) trip on the road and the noise is still coming out of my driver side tire area. With the window down and driving 20mph max, I can still here the noise. It is not a grinding noise but more like a ratcheting noise. Not very loud but loud enough to tell me this is not a normal operating sound. It does not get worse when I am turning. I checked the front diff. case lube and it was full. I had no problems last winter and now this. Any and all info and help from this point would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The rubber coupling I'm referring to is circled in red. The Blue and Pink lines run to the actuator on the axle.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Thank You !!!
That is not what I came across yesterday, but I will go check it today for sure.
Thanks for the Pic. Doesn't come any clearer than that.

TJKinCNY

Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tjk_in_cny
Thank You !!!
Doesn't come any clearer than that.

TJKinCNY
Yea, I was getting an itch to post a pic somewhere

However, I don't think that's the problem

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM
JMC

There is a kit out to replace the Centre Axle Disconnect Collar that includes a new shift Fork. There are nylon guides on the shift fork that wear out and allow the collar to not completely slide over the splines. When this happens the splines will make a grinding or ratcheting sound. Bottom diagram #13 is the fork, 14 is the collar. Check out all the vacuum lines and solenoids before taking the front axle apart.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
The front axle may not be fully engaging when you shift to 4x4. Easy things first, pull the plastic cover off the shift motor on the front axle ans PB blast the shift lever and shaft of the motor. Then exercise it by shifting to 4x4 and back a few times. While you are under there look at the plastic vacuum tubes for cracks. They get brittle after a few years. I replaced mine because they had cracked. Follow them up to the solenoids on the firewall.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Thanks JMC for the info. I did/completed what you instructed me to do yesterday and I still have the ratcheting sound. I checked for vacuum pressure at the solenoid vacuum connections and at the vacuum lines that connect to the shift motor. It seems I have good vacuum on both ends. I didn't actually put my vac gauge on the vac lines because I don't know what pressure I'm supposed to be reading. Thanks again, more help is needed and greatly appreciated.

TJKinCNY

Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks again JMC for the info

Originally Posted by JMC
There is a kit out to replace the Centre Axle Disconnect Collar that includes a new shift Fork. There are nylon guides on the shift fork that wear out and allow the collar to not completely slide over the splines. When this happens the splines will make a grinding or ratcheting sound. Bottom diagram #13 is the fork, 14 is the collar. Check out all the vacuum lines and solenoids before taking the front axle apart.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
This proceedure (fork and collar) may be more than I want to attempt on my own. I have not torn down a front axle but I have a friend who owns his own shop and I will take it to him for this work if it is required. The good thing is, if he has to do this repair, he will tear it down, call me and show me the proceedure. AJ is good about doing that for me because he knows that I like to learn. My next step is to jack it up, place four heavy jack stands under the truck and run it in 4x4 and see if I can pinpoint the noise. When I'm driving, it sounds like it may be coming from my CV Shaft, drivers side area. The great news is my friend owns the local NAPA and he has a rebuilt Ford CV Shaft Assembly (complete w/ new boots) in stock. Too my shock, my price is $62.00 + core. I really hope this is the solution because it will be an easy repair for me.
The kit you are talking about, is that an OEM kit from Ford, and do have a part number.

Merci Beaucoup,

TJKinCNY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 engages but has noise issue now....