Lockers, Wheels and Tires, And Suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers, Wheels and Tires, And Suspension.

Hey all, I have a 2000 F-150, with 146,000 miles on it already..... I am wanting to possibly get lockers for it because it is used as a farm truck sometimes.

I have a few questions though.

I want to get lockers, but should I get higher gearing? Im not sure what I have now, the truck is at my moms, At 60-65 I THINK it runs about 1600-1700? I havent driven the truck in 3 months so I dont remember.

But I am wanting to put 33" or 35" mud tires on it so I am thinking about going with higher gearing.

WHAT MUD TIRES SHOULD I GET??

BUT!! If I want 35" mud tires do I need a lift? And if so should I just do a 3" body lift? I cant afford lockers and other ***** with a suspension lift. Im not rich...

Which lockers should I go with and what gearing? How much will it set me back $$ wise??

ALSO WHAT WHEELS WILL LOOK GOOD ON MY TRUCK

Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by rcfreak24
Hey all, I have a 2000 F-150, with 146,000 miles on it already..... I am wanting to possibly get lockers for it because it is used as a farm truck sometimes.

I have a few questions though.

I want to get lockers, but should I get higher gearing? Im not sure what I have now, the truck is at my moms, At 60-65 I THINK it runs about 1600-1700? I havent driven the truck in 3 months so I dont remember.

But I am wanting to put 33" or 35" mud tires on it so I am thinking about going with higher gearing.

WHAT MUD TIRES SHOULD I GET??

BUT!! If I want 35" mud tires do I need a lift? And if so should I just do a 3" body lift? I cant afford lockers and other ***** with a suspension lift. Im not rich...

Which lockers should I go with and what gearing? How much will it set me back $$ wise??

ALSO WHAT WHEELS WILL LOOK GOOD ON MY TRUCK

If you just stick with 33's, you probably won't feel the need to regear. However, with 35's and pulling loads around on the farm (and offroading) you'll want to regear. 4.56's would be perfect and they'll run you about $1,000 to 1,500 front and rear for parts and labor.

33's will fit stock. 35's will fit perfect with a 3" body lift.

A Detroit Locker would work great for the rear.

For serious use and offroading, I suggest the BFG MT's, Mickey Thompson MTZ, Cooper STT's, and **** Cepek MC's. Also, the Bridgestone Dueler M/T's. They're VERY popular with the farmers, county trucks, contractors and other constuction companies around these parts.

As far as wheels, something along the lines of a Mickey Thompson Classic II would look great!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I Really Appreciate the help!

Is there any way WE (my uncle, his friend, and I) who are pretty much mechanics, can re-gear or is it something a pro. needs to do? Is it hard?

Also, what about a locker for the front?

And where should I get these items from? Online?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 PM
How wide of tires should I get?

Ok for 35's what tires would you suggest, can can I get 35's on my stock wheels, they are the aluminum 16's... Or do I HAVE to buy new wheels for 35's

if so,

what would you suggest, tire wise and size to fit my stock wheels for 33's?

I appreciate any and all help guys!

Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by rcfreak24
How wide of tires should I get?

Ok for 35's what tires would you suggest, can can I get 35's on my stock wheels, they are the aluminum 16's... Or do I HAVE to buy new wheels for 35's

if so,

what would you suggest, tire wise and size to fit my stock wheels for 33's?

I appreciate any and all help guys!
Heres the dirty...

Go with a 3" Body LIft.

Get a set of 315/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders a relatively cheap tire that will last.

another good choice is BFG KM2 but be ready to pay for them.

On the gearing you will want a pro to do it. Its possible to do but if you dont have the right tools its gonna probably gonna cost you around the same to go buy the tools and install yourself as to paying someone to install them.

If the truck doesnt drive on the interstate much (higher speeds) then go with 4.88's

if the truck is on the interstate alot go with 4.56's

(4.88's will allow you to go to a bigger tire in the future without loosing too much power, if you plan on lifting it more later on)

Id keep your stock wheels, they look nice but dont put a tire any wider than 12.5" on them or they will crown in the middle and cause fast wear.

If you really plan on playing in the mud id look into some Super Swamper TSL Radials I love mine and wont go back to another brand.

make sure you regear and do the lockers at the same time no need for the extra installation cost.

Most places ive checked labor usally runs $350 for the front axle $250 for the rear. (give or take alittle)

another thing what engine does the truck have? this will determine your rear axle size.

if its a 5.4L v8= 9.75

if its a 4.6L v8= 8.8

if its a 4.2L v6= 8.8 (i know its not this i can see the triton badge but figure id add it)

and remeber the front axle is a 8.8 reverse cut gears in all three models!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a locker for the front. I would get an electronic selectable

Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
So where should I get gears and the lockers at online? I do need a locker for the front too.

And what is the best but cheapest mud tire? It has to fit on my stock wheel.. 315/75/16 work, thats 11.5 wide, or should i get 35/12.5/16? I like the mud grapplers, but i want the BEST mud tire that is less than 200 EA. or close to it

And what is the best body lift? And does it come with EVERYTHING needed?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Heres your choices in tires.
maxxis buckshot mudders
procomp extreme mt
procomp mt
cooper discover stt
super swamper radial tsl
super swamper Truxus MT's

note: there are other good tires out there but they are gonna cost you more!

Nitto Mud Grapplers SUCK they are a decent off road tire but will not last on the pavement. If you really want a tire that aggressive then look into a set of radial Super Swampers. They will out perform the Nitto's in EVERY situation i promise.

mileage expectations
you can expect 20k form a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers
you can expect 30k form a set of Super Swamper Radial TSL's
you can expect 40k from a set of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

all three of these tires will perform offroad well.

choices for body lift
Performance Accessories Body Lift and their gap gaurds. (only quality brand available)

Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
If you just stick with 33's, you probably won't feel the need to regear. However, with 35's and pulling loads around on the farm (and offroading) you'll want to regear. 4.56's would be perfect and they'll run you about $1,000 to 1,500 front and rear for parts and labor.

33's will fit stock. 35's will fit perfect with a 3" body lift.

A Detroit Locker would work great for the rear.

For serious use and offroading, I suggest the BFG MT's, Mickey Thompson MTZ, Cooper STT's, and **** Cepek MC's. Also, the Bridgestone Dueler M/T's. They're VERY popular with the farmers, county trucks, contractors and other constuction companies around these parts.

As far as wheels, something along the lines of a Mickey Thompson Classic II would look great!
I agree 100% but would also look into Interco line of Super Swamper tires. They make some great ones.

Originally Posted by tnsilverfx4
You can get a locker for the front. I would get an electronic selectable
A good choice here. A selectable locker will allow it to be LS style front driving around normally, keeping tire un-even wear to a minimum. Then when you really find yourself in some deep ...... then flip a switch and bam, your locked.

You could re-gear yourself. There really isn't much to it, and people ype the difficulty like there is no tomorrow. Be very careful while doing, mark all appropiate parts, make measurements, then do it again, and again, then when you think your good with measurements, do it 2 more times. There are tons of write ups on specific models. Plus, you have this site, with plenty of people on here that have done them themself.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
i looked up some prices for you..

all in a 35" tire

Maxxis Buckshot Mudders = 187 ea.

Procomp MT = 243 ea.

Procomp Extreme MT = 243 ea.

Procomp Xterrain = 246 ea.

Mickey Thompson MTZ = 242 ea.

Mickey Thompson Claws = 247 ea.

Nitto Mud Grapplers = 299 ea.

BFG KM2 = 259 ea.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Ok, should I ONLY get the "radials" for super swampers?

Also, where can I get the lockers and gears?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
if you plan on driving at all on the street then go with a Radial. they will last much longer.

The only bias ply tire id recommend is one of the Pitbull tires. They are bias ply but they are a stiff bias ply tire and they can last between 25-30k miles.

I have no clue where to buy the lockers or gears. I normally go with 4wheelparts.com just cause i know and trust their work. (but their prices are usually high)

Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Which of the 3 should I get??? The TSL/SX are the most meaty of the 3, then the TSL, then the Radial TSL, the Radial TSL still has plenty of meat on them but the least of the 3.

Super Swamper TSL/SX

Super Swamper Radial TSL

OR

Super Swamper TSL

Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I DO plan on driving on the street/highways, and interstate occasionally.. It is my daily driver, but used around the farm ALOT, and that gumbo in Nebraska SUCKS when you get a truck in it. Thats why I NEED a meaty tire for mud.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
id say go with the Super Swamper Raial SSR in a 35 x 12.5 x 16

Quick Reply: Lockers, Wheels and Tires, And Suspension.