Lockers, Wheels and Tires, And Suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres the SSR radials

Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM
OK, for gears, is ALL I need to re-do my front and rear end the lockers, with ring and pinion gear? I can get the ring and pinion (4.56) for less than 400 for front and rear online.

So my question is..

If I buy just the ring and pinion, along with the lockers. Is that all I need?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
No you will need a master install kit and the proper measurement tools for the job. (unafortunately i dont know all of these)

Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
So should I just get a Spool for the rear or get the Detroit Locker, the Spool is alot cheaper... and in my 2000 f150 is the front AND rear 31 spline axles??

Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read the sticky on the top of this section, it will give you some excellent background info regarding regearing yourself.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
id say screw the spool and get a selectable locker front and rear.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Why not put a Spool in the rear??? It will save me over 400 bucks. I will get a selectable locker for the front.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I just perfer lockers (detriot to be exact) but thats me i know alot of people that like spools and enjoy having them.

my truck is a daily driver. and its on the road when wet. When i get something it will be a locker. A spool is a pain on the streets and puts tons of stress on the axles.

Now dont think a locker will be just peachy on the street either, they can bite you in the but also.

Actually my Limited Slip has bit me in the but a few times now.

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 08-12-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Yea but why pay 700+ for a Detroit Locker when you can get a Spool for around 200 or so....?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
thats really up to you. a locker is gonna be much more streetable and still work the same way a spool works when locked in. The only benefit a spool will give is that its stronger.

Its all a preference thing. and i never bye the cheapest thing. I get what works for me.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
I will still be able to drive the truck on the pavement with the spool. And it will save me 400 bucks about. Yea I see the detroit locker isnt ALWAYS fully engaged untill it slips then it is, correct me if I am wrong. But thats the only difference. So id rather save 400 bucks than to have a limited slip till it slips then act like a spool.. Correct?

Turning wont be real noticable difference with a spool in the rear will it?

Eh im still deciding..... And for the selectable locker for the front, does a hole need to be drilled into the diff case? for the line/wire or whatever to run out?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by rcfreak24
I will still be able to drive the truck on the pavement with the spool. And it will save me 400 bucks about. Yea I see the detroit locker isnt ALWAYS fully engaged untill it slips then it is, correct me if I am wrong. But thats the only difference. So id rather save 400 bucks than to have a limited slip till it slips then act like a spool.. Correct?

Turning wont be real noticable difference with a spool in the rear will it?

Eh im still deciding..... And for the selectable locker for the front, does a hole need to be drilled into the diff case? for the line/wire or whatever to run out?
the back tires on a truck spin at 2 different speeds when turning. when youi are turning the inside tire doesnt spin as fast as the out side tire.

turning will be much different with a spool. since the tires are gonna spin the same speed then the backend will want to slide rather than turn. this problem will be magnified in slipery roads.

a locker will allow the tires to spin at 2 different speeds allowing it to turn. and when the lockers are engaged it will work EXACTLY like a spool. Now the locker can still bite you in the butt if you try to throttle though at turn and it locks up and sends your backend around you... i know ive been there. But thats why id have a manual selectable locker.

My buddy has a spool in his Jeep XJ and he wont move the thing out of the driveway if the roads are wet.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok then which selectable locker for front and rear..? Selectables are cheaper than the detroit locker.. I might just get the Detroit, I dont know yet...

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
im doing some research and i cant seem to find any manual operated lockers. But im reading alot of GOOD reviews of the Richmond Gear Powertrax. Its an automatic locker.

The other GREAT selectable locker that im actually think of putting in mine is the ARB Air locker. you have to have a way to get the air there but its NEVER a bad idea to have a onboard compressor. And this type of locker is push button! ITs more expensive but worth it.

anyway you go you will have to learn how to drive with the locker, and also know how to correct it if you ever have a lock up.

The easiest thing about a spool is that you WILL know that driving around a corner will be squirmy and that in the rain will be dangerous EVERY SINGLE TIME. and you will learn to drive with it.

the catchy thing about a locker is that it could lock up when your not expecting it and cause a bad acident if you dont know how to correct it.

I know im playing both sides here be id rather you make the desicion than me spoon feed you.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
There is the ARB Air Locker, the Eaton ELocker, the OX Locker, and the Auburn Ected Locker... Which one for front and rear? I think ALL those we are able to turn on and off... Correct me if I am wrong yet again..

Quick Reply: Lockers, Wheels and Tires, And Suspension.