4.10's or 4.56's

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by efuehrin
www.accuautoparts.com

They had the best prices I could find. I got the Ford Racing 4:56 gears form summitracing. I was told to get ford racing or Yukon. Try not to go too cheap.

Like I said previously I have some Ford Racing 4:56's collecting dust in the garage if your interested. PM me if so and I can give u details.
I am seriously thinking about installing mine myself I hate having to pay a shop to do it when I can do it myself and save some money for other mods, I put both lifts on surely I could install these gears it cant be that hard but I`ve never done it before so I dont know. How hard was it to install the gears in your truck? did you use a press to put the parts back together?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f150 rider
I am seriously thinking about installing mine myself I hate having to pay a shop to do it when I can do it myself and save some money for other mods, I put both lifts on surely I could install these gears it cant be that hard but I`ve never done it before so I dont know. How hard was it to install the gears in your truck? did you use a press to put the parts back together?

It wasn't hard at all. I do have a buddy that works at the local Ford dealer that I went to a couple of times though.

I wish I hadn't have gotten in such a hurry. I wanted to take detailed pics so I could do a good write up on this site, but you know how it goes. I ended up getting it done so I could check out the new gears.

If you did the lifts yourself I'm sure you can do this with some research.

I did have to use a press to get the old bearing off and to but the new bearing on the new pinion. The ring wasn't as hard. I just set the new one on the wood stove and the other outside(30 degrees) and it went on fine that way.

Basicaly all I did was take it apart and put in right back together with the new ring and pinion. I used all the same shims and spacers. When I checked it with the dial indicator and checked the footprint with some "chalk" it came out perfect.

And I did mine twice. It came out perfect each time. I don't know why it wouldn't for you also.

I guess I should try to do a write up.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wasn't hard at all. I do have a buddy that works at the local Ford dealer that I went to a couple of times though.

I wish I hadn't have gotten in such a hurry. I wanted to take detailed pics so I could do a good write up on this site, but you know how it goes. I ended up getting it done so I could check out the new gears.

I did have to use a press to get the old bearing off and to but the new bearing on the new pinion. The ring wasn't as hard. I just set the new one on the wood stove and the other outside(30 degrees) and it went on fine that way.

Basicaly all I did was take it apart and put in right back together with the new ring and pinion. I used all the same shims and spacers. When I checked it with the dial indicator and checked the footprint with some "chalk" it came out perfect.

And I did mine twice. It came out perfect each time. I don't know why it wouldn't for you also.

Please do! I am probably going to try this myself.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
Please do! I am probably going to try this myself.

How about you and F150rider just drive over to concordia, MO and we will do them both in my garage!

I'll try to write something up. Try.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM

How about you and F150rider just drive over to concordia, MO and we will do them both in my garage!

hmmm...

I'd be willing to maybe do something like that, plus then I could see that truck of yours in person!

Last edited by 05_sprcrw; 07-11-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
hmmm...

I'd be willing to maybe do something like that, plus then I could see that truck of yours in person!

Sounds good in theory. but I don't think the wife would go for me wrenchen in the garage for a whole weekend straight! At least not on my truck!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM

ya, that probably wouldn't go over to well now would it.... but seriously thanks for all the info you have given me. Oh and I shot you an e-mail, so be on the look out for that.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
No clue. I don't know anything about the new engines. My guess is that you may get a little better MPG.

FYI I took this last night with my phone on the way home last night. Remember I have 35's and 4:88s

How much lower do you think the rpms would be with 38's and do you think it'd be similar mpg? I called a shop the other day looking to get a quote and they told me 4.88 would be too much and probably kill mpg. I do probably 80% city driving with a few 160 mile round trips back and forth between Orlando and Ocala. I also offroad a few times a month

Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Man that would be awsome if you could do a write up, I going to tackle this in the next month or two I think I can do it and another reason I would like to do it instead of having a shop install them is that I know its done right when it`s through, I know there is alot of good shops out there but theres nothing like having the satifaction of knowing that you did it yourself and it actually worked, HAHA if it was only that way everytime anyway thanks for the help so far and if you dont mind I`m sure I`ll have some more questions when I do the install.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Man I wish I could drive up there and have some experienced help to install those gears but it would cost as much for gas there and back as the gears themselves cost I know gas is alot but I just cant bring myself to drive a car. as soon as I get gears 37 or 38s are going on an I cant wait but money doesnt grow on trees around here

Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by _cashel
How much lower do you think the rpms would be with 38's and do you think it'd be similar mpg? I called a shop the other day looking to get a quote and they told me 4.88 would be too much and probably kill mpg. I do probably 80% city driving with a few 160 mile round trips back and forth between Orlando and Ocala. I also offroad a few times a month

what motor and gears do you have in now?

There have been many guy's on this site put in 4:88s and be just fine with it. In fact that is what's recomended for any tires bigger than 35's.

I'm not sure what the RPM's will be with 38s. But I'm sure the MPG will go down more. I'm guessing to around 10. that's just a guess though.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM
what motor and gears do you have in now?

There have been many guy's on this site put in 4:88s and be just fine with it. In fact that is what's recomended for any tires bigger than 35's.

I'm not sure what the RPM's will be with 38s. But I'm sure the MPG will go down more. I'm guessing to around 10. that's just a guess though.
I've got a 5.4l w/ a 3.55LS right now. I know a lot of guys go with 4.88's with 38s, and honestly I want to as well, but I wasn't sure if I wanted 4.88s or 4.56s with how I drive. I do mostly city driving with a few trips back and forth between Ocala and Orlando and I was just trying to save every little mpg I could with these big tires.

edit: if it makes any difference, with the 285s I have on the truck now, at 75mph I'm sitting at exactly 2000 RPMs

Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by _cashel
I've got a 5.4l w/ a 3.55LS right now. I know a lot of guys go with 4.88's with this tire, and honestly I want to as well, but I wasn't sure if I wanted 4.88s or 4.56s with how I drive. I do mostly city driving with a few trips back and forth between Ocala and Orlando and I was just trying to save every little mpg I could with these big tires.
In my opinion. I would go with 88s if you get a tire above 35".

I think the advantages would out weigh the disadvantages.

88s would probably give you better MPG in the city. and would make things easier on the tranny and motor.

I am personally very pleased with 88s on my 35's. I'm just hoping I don't loose too much when I go up to a bigger tire. If I do I guess I'll just have to mod the motor!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 AM
4.88s with 35's is awesome. Its a blast to see the look on peoples faces when they realize that that big ole truck next to them at the intersection has a little bit of scoot to it.

Cashel- Do the 4.88's. I would go no less with 38's. Your rpms on the highway will go down due to more load on the drivetrain, but there will be increased air and wind resistance so your mpgs will go down a bit. You will thank me when you come to a stoplight and have to get the truck rolling again

Old 07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't recommend the installation of gears by a novice alone...

VERY slight differences can mean getting 1,000 miles or 1,000,000 miles out of your gears.

Quick Reply: 4.10's or 4.56's