rearend just broke no worning nothing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the detroits hold their value rather well, resale isnt so bad, you take like $250 bite from using it. psst MT, be careful with the age thing im only 21, i was 19 when i started thinking about this build.

trannys home, not the same housing oh well. he said something broke? either way its rebuilt with hardened parts.

my clutch's were uh, gone. lol

jmc how were ur 8.8's failing?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
the detroits hold their value rather well, resale isnt so bad, you take like $250 bite from using it. psst MT, be careful with the age thing im only 21, i was 19 when i started thinking about this build.

trannys home, not the same housing oh well. he said something broke? either way its rebuilt with hardened parts.

my clutch's were uh, gone. lol

jmc how were ur 8.8's failing?

I didn't even think about the resale value, thanks klitch. Now your gunna make me go spend more money !
Sorry, meant no offense by the age thing, heck, I'm only 22
And I definately thought you were much older... just the way ya know your chit and what not. My mistake !

Clutches gone ? How'd that happen ?

Klitch: totally off topic, but wanted your input. I've seen your pics of your truck with that BIG *** camper on it, were you also towing with that set-up ? How'd your truck handle ? Pull ? Been wanting something like that, when I tow up the Samurai, but not sure how much the truck is going to like it...

Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The carriers cracked and allowed the spider gears, also called pinion gears, to move apart from the side gears and chip. The metal soup just destroyed them after that.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-16-2008, 03:18 AM
MT lol i just been around vehicles since i was little, really got into them after highschool when i had a ft job. that was basically the end of "tinker". i dont claim to know everything, just try to offer the insight i do have and the knowledge i have learned first hand.

the truck n camper rode pretty good with my extra 1000# payload springs, i didnt try hauling anything too heavy after the camper was on the truck, only my 2 dirtbikes and the 3 rail trailer i made from a scrapped 3 rail trailer. probably a good thing too, it struggled up some of those hills with about 4k# total. basically you'll be putting your truck to the limit if you payload a camper and haul a sammy. what does yours weigh in at? about 3k? you might be ok actually you have much less miles on your truck and the same ratio i do i think.
i dont think the campers that big, just a heavy manufacturer. lance 8.5 squire lite, weighs about 2200 dry. i've definately seen bigger lol.

ill honestly say before my tranny crapped out, that lightning powerplant didnt breathe hard until i hauled about 3-4 cord of wood. on the car trailer plus a heavy payload package, then it struggled enough to drop into 3rd up a steep hill LOL.

JMC, i think i may have a much better starting point on you here, i have that detroit, looks very solid housing. plus no extra little gears to go everywhere.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how that goes, by age 8 my old man had me in his shop, handing him tools learning what each one was and how to eye the size of any nut/bolt just by a quick look. Goodtimes.

I was looking into some of those smaller/compact pop-up style campers (might be lighter?) and seeing how the truck hauls. My Sami might weigh in at 2k plus the 2k trailer. That poor Zuk has been chopped so much, can't be very heavy. But I haven't weighed it yet, I will here someday, just to see.

Maybe after this, I'll have enough motivation to start looking for a 5.4 block...

Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
well i assume you chopped n hacked, but i figured something heavy went back in somewhere lol. yeah i always forget my car trailer weighs like 1600, piggy trailer :P

i personally despise pop ups, look too cheap to me.

yeah, i love my 5.4 when its not eating transmissions when im workin 7 days a week... gettin run down with this f'n cold too.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
yeah, i love my 5.4 when its not eating transmissions when im workin 7 days a week... gettin run down with this f'n cold too.
I can relate to that. I just came in for a break and to do a little work. T-case, torsion bar cross member and Starter are off. All nuts holding tranny and tranny cross member are off. I need to remove shifter and pull off the tranny. This time I haven't removed the exhaust.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
the real pisser for me is both vehicles of mine are down. probe motor went 2 weeks after my tranny did. so my work loads up pretty high and time is scarce. abby comes first

Quick Reply: rearend just broke no worning nothing