Left Front Wheel Bearing ???

Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Front Wheel Bearing ???

Have a 98' F150 4WD. Noise sounding alot like driver front wheel bearing bad. I have jacked the truck up numerous times and checked for play and rough bearing by hand spinning - seems smooth and quiet !
Have read alot of other posts with the same left front noise and concern.
Is there another common problem in that location that I'm missing ?
JA

Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its 4wd so check out your cv joints also.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:35 PM
This might sound odd to you. But noise travels in mysterious ways.

If you can't find any propblems in the front, I'd suggest you check your rear wheel bearings.

Since your noise seems to be coming from the front left, my guess is that it could be coming from your right rear.

Again I know that sounds screwy, but I've dealt with this issue several times on different trucks and rear wheel drive cars over the years.

If you catch it before the axel shaft is damaged you can use standard replacement bearings and seals. But if the shaft is damaged ask for a bearing repair kit. The kit moves the bearing race to an area of the axel with out damage, if also includes the seal.

Replacing the rear bearings isn't that difficult. But if you don't already have one, I'd suggest renting a slide hammer kit. It will make getting the bearing race out of the axel housing much easier.

Good luck,
Doug

Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Exclamation noise - left front

Thanks Keith and Doug, I did check out the Cv joints and everything else up front - looks good. Yea, my thought exactly at this point - maybe the rear axle bearing transmitting to the front ..... I jacked up the rear today for a look - backs seem ok as well, and they were just done last summer .
I'm going to buy a front bearing hub assy and keep it handy.
And , I'm going to drive it hard until the problem becomes obvious !!
Sometimes that's the best way !!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I feel your pain jvaski! Im having the same issue on the left front...sounds like a darn hub/wheel bearing...I would have bet money on it....replaced the hub and its still there.... Driving me crazy. Its a rythmic bearing sound. I just replaced all ball joints this weekend (worn out) and didnt notice anything wrong up front. I used a grease gun with a needle injector and filled the c/v boots for maintenance..still have the noise. It starts around 30mph I think. Could the axle make the sound.....its not popping or anything? Is there a bearing in the differential housing tubes where the inner c/v bolts up? Possible? I notice if i lean over towards the center of the truck it fades a bit from my ear....but it is driving me insane.

Last edited by 99Flare; 01-30-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Last Summer I had a similar situation. I was hearing similar sounds and was thinking drivers side wheel bearing but couldnt find the noise in the front wheel when I would jack up the truck. I checked all four wheels probably three times and it drove me crazy! So I got out my grease gun and hit every fitting I could find and notice the rear uj on the main shaft had a loose cap. I changed the uj and the noise whent away, poof. Noise can travel in strange ways indeed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left Front Wheel Bearing ???