No 4WD '97 F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 4WD '97 F150

I have a question that hopefully some has experienced. I Have EOF 4WD.
When I turn the switch to 4Hi the liight comes on but no 4WD. Here is what I have done so far:
I have replaced the shift motor on the transfer case as the old one had rusted severly. I raised the front of the truckand ran this test
with engine running and the selector on 2WHi, the front drive shaft moves freely, when I switch it to 4W hi, the front drive shaft locks up. During both tests, the wheels turned freely and indepedantly.

I checked to see if the vacuum actuator on the front differential was working and it wasn't, but there is vacuum in the lines. I'm replacing the actuator and after all this, here is the question.

The lever on the front differential moves, but is very stiff. I cannot move it with my hands. it works if i use a small pipe to extend it. should I be able to move this level with my hand with no lever extension?

Old 11-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same experience last week. I dod EXACTLY the same thing with a small pvc pipe for leverage. I thought it was stiff. Then I checked the fluid level in the front diff. It was fine .
I ended up spraying the lever with penatrating oil where it enters the diff and exercising the shaft. (move back and forth). Slides like a hot knife through butter now.
Oh yea, 4x4 works fine as well.
bullseye670..............

Quick Reply: No 4WD '97 F150