Slack in Gas Pedal Linkage

Old 03-24-2000, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Slack in Gas Pedal Linkage

I put custom pedals on my brake and gas pedal a couple of week ago and noticed on the gas linkage that there was 1/2 - 3/4 inch a free play on the linkage. Take a flashlight to look inside the vehicle at the very top of the linkage where the cable connects. When I moved the pedal with my hand I could see and feel the free play. It made me wonder if the throttle was realy opening all the way when the pedal was put to the floor.
I was thinking of crimping something on the cable to take up the slack to test the wide open or not theory.
Hs anyone else found this free play in the throttle cable? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 04-04-2000, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi T Ellenberger
Thanks for the info. I took a Nylon tie wrap and put it inbetween the cable end and the pedal. I took about half the play out.
I don't know if I get any more throttle, but I can get full throttle easier. I just did it today give me a few days and I report my oppinion on if it helps, but it deffinatly didn't hurt.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bassani Cat Back, Superchip,Modified intake with modified K&N filter.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.

Old 04-05-2000, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I placed a bolt and nut around the cable to take up the slack and the feel of the gas pedal is more instant on than before. I don't know if the slack kept the throttle from going wide open or not but reaction time for the touch of the pedal is quicker.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slack in Gas Pedal Linkage