F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Other Powertrain (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain-15/)
-   -   4x4 Shift Fork $$?? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain/186069-4x4-shift-fork.html)

ATC5497 02-15-2005 12:22 PM

4x4 Shift Fork $$??

I have a 03 4x4 with something wrong in the front differential. I have read previous posts and think the problem is a broken shift fork in the front differential. My truck is OUT of extended warranty by 1,642 miles. Does anyone know what the approx. cost of this repair will be ???

triumphman 02-15-2005 07:12 PM

ACT5497,

What leads you to think that it's a shift fork broken? What trouble shooting have you done? There's alot of other minor things that keeps the front diff. from not shifting than the internal fork.

Give us a little history of what you have done!

Waiting to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene

ATC5497 02-17-2005 01:47 PM

Here is a list of the trouble shooting that i have done.

1. 2/13/05 I got stuck in the mud . Discovered 4x4 not working &*$$#$@. Pulled it out with the tractor.

2. 2/14/05 I got under the truck to find the problem and here is what I discovered.

Visual inspection- everything looked to be in order.

With the truck running in 2WD mode the drive shaft going to the front differential would spin freely. When put into 4WD the drive shaft would enage properly. When changing from 2WD to 4WD the (accuator) on the front axel appeared to be working properly. The unit would move the shift lever on the front differential. ( I started to get a sinking feeling in my gut)

3. I described the problem to a Ford dealership in my area and they said I would need to bring in the truck so they could properly diagnose the problem.

4. I paid $49.95 for the technician to tell me what I had already told him,(something is broke in the front differential) They couldn't give me any kind of estimate unless they dissassembled the unit $$$$$.

5. After searching the archives on this website I think the problem is a broken shift fork. It could still be anything in the front differential

triumphman 02-17-2005 06:50 PM

tc,

Got your e-mail.
Looks like you did all the right things, and it sure looks like you have nailed it.
The only thing that I would look at again is the vaccum motor and linkage, be sure the control arm isn't just turning on the shaft going into the diff. It's more than likely keyed or splined (I've never had one off) so it proably can't slip. But I would watch it move when someone shifted it in and out and watch the shaft to be sure. My control arm moves about an inch when it shifts.

Good luck! it sure looks like you are going to have to go inside.
Sorry it wasn't just a vaccum control valve or a line off for you.

Gene

sch78 03-06-2005 11:37 PM

I have '97 with the same problem. I removed the front axle from the truck and disconnected the left side of the axle by the vacuum motor. The fork inside wasn't broken but I found pieces of broken plastic. The forks had plastic slippers on each end, with them broken off the connecting ring, which the fork moves, does not move forward enough to lock the shaft going to the wheel. When I went to Ford to get new plastic pieces, I was told that they don't sell the plastic pieces that I had to buy the whole fork assembly which was about $160 (Ford part # F75Z-3N139-KT). Go figure?? Good Luck.

antlermass 01-12-2011 06:50 PM

I know this post is old but I have to ask

Hey SCH78, can I ask where you got your fork assembly for $160?
I have the same problem you had!!
I have been looking around for price and I'm getting around $260!
I hate to spend $260 dollars for 2 plastic sleeve things, so any little bit i can save the better!

David Dotson 03-08-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by antlermass (Post 4457625)
I know this post is old but I have to ask

Hey SCH78, can I ask where you got your fork assembly for $160?
I have the same problem you had!!
I have been looking around for price and I'm getting around $260!
I hate to spend $260 dollars for 2 plastic sleeve things, so any little bit i can save the better!

order it from eBay '$33