More Drivetrain NVH Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2000, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question More Drivetrain NVH Questions

Hello to everyone.

After having researched most of this board's threads on drivetrain problems, I don't believe any of them address the symptoms that my truck is exhibiting.

The symptoms of the driveline are a low-frequency sound, apparently coming from the rear, with an associated vibration felt in the steering wheel and also in the seat of the pants. The pitch of the sound changes only slightly with speed, but there is a radical change in the sound when on-throttle or off-throttle. The sound and vibration are almost always present, however, every once in a while there is none.(?)

This NVH was first noticed at about 60,000 miles and has slowly gotten worse. Prior to that the truck rode smooth and vibration free.

I have sprayed WD-40 on the universal joints and the accessible portions of the driveshaft spline, which seems to temporarily resolve the problem, but again only occassionally.

I feel like I haven't adequately described the conditions to make an accurate analysis, but I would appreciate any input from fellow F-150 Online Board Members who may have experienced similar symptoms with their trucks or who may know the answer to these NVH conditions.

Thanks to all.

WilyWilky

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 Super Cab; XLT 139" Wheelbase Flairside; Silver Frost Clearcoat; 4.6L. (Romeo); 4-spd Automatic Transmission; Preferred Equipment Package 507A; 3.55 Limited Slip Axle; Electronic Shift 4x4; California Emissions; Sliding Rear Window; Trailer Towing Package; Off-Road Package; 6-Way Power Driver's Seat; Remote Keyless Entry/Anti Theft; 6-Disc CD Changer; Ford Bedliner; Ford Running Boards; Ford Nose Mask; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

Old 02-06-2000, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, taking your temporary fix and the symptoms into account, I'd have to vote for a bad U-joint or two. My only qualm with this is the lack of a squeak. When the joints dry out, they usually start squeaking before the rumbling starts.

While others haven't mentioned it, I've generally had U-Joints go out on me at around 50K miles or so. It's worse on 4x4 shortbeds like I drive, because of the more acute angle of the driveshaft.

Quick Reply: More Drivetrain NVH Questions