Redesigning Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Redesigning Ranger

The Ford Ranger has basically been the same for quite some time. I know the headlights, tail lights, and name badge have been changed a few times according to the model year, but basically it's the same. Does anyone know when the Ranger might get a new body style? Not that I'm interested in buying one, but I'm curious....

Also, the Dodge Dakota now comes with the 4.7L Magnum V8. Will Ranger have the 4.6L Triton V8 available? As far as I know all Rangers are V6s.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It already has one, it's called the Sport Trac.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Believe it or not, there has been much discussion within Ford of discontinuing the Ranger! Their plant in St. Paul, Minnesota, is the only one left producing the truck, and it is constantly on the short list of plants that might be closed in the current round of Ford cutbacks!

I personally can't believe the Ranger can't be successful -- especially in the environment that we have now with $2.00+ per gallon gasoline! But Ford has neglected the Ranger product for so long now that it will take a major investment in dollars to bring the vehicle up to today's automotive standards.

Here's hoping they do it -- I love my little '97 Ranger, and would definitely buy another to replace mine once it gives up the ghost!

Last edited by ddellwo; 03-23-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Believe it or not, there has been much discussion within Ford of discontinuing the Ranger! Their plant in St. Paul, Minnesota, is the only one left producing the truck, and it is constantly on the short list of plants that might be closed in the current round of Ford cutbacks!

I personally can't believe the Ranger can't be successful -- especially in the environment that we have now with $2.00+ per gallon gasoline! But Ford has neglected the Ranger product for so long now that it will a major investment in dollars to bring the vehicle up to today's automotive standards.

Here's hoping they do it -- I love my little '97 Ranger, and would definitely buy another to replace mine once it gives up the ghost!

Good old ranger. I have had 4. No need to change something that is perfect.

The second vehicle I owned was a ranger the year they went to the rounder body style. They have basically gone unchanged with exception of the TTB to Torsion IFS and a couple different powerplants.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by JohnBoy88

Also, the Dodge Dakota now comes with the 4.7L Magnum V8. Will Ranger have the 4.6L Triton V8 available? As far as I know all Rangers are V6s.

Thanks.
The Dakota has always been available with V8 power. The Rangers have a 4 clyinder and 2 V6's. The 3.0 and the 4.0.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I vote for a new Ranger too. It's always been a good truck for anybody who wants a truck but not all the big pickup issues of gas mileage, size, etc. A mild restyle, an available 4.6l 2v V8, and a full 4-door model plus a full reworking of all the underpinnings, etc. would make the Ranger as much truck as most people would ever need.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I have had 2 rangers. I have a 97 I got as my first truck way back when, that I still got and still drive and still love driving. I have had very minor problems with it considering its 9 years old. Right now my cats and o2s went, but at its age, thats nothing.

Then I got a 90 4x4 to off road. Lifted it really high, hacked up the body, stuffed big mudders on it and beat the **** out of it. The truck can sure take some abuse. Just sold that one because gas and insurence on a 3rd truck was a pain.

I will buy another ranger sooner or later. Next go round I want a new ranger for city driving and a diesel superduty for my towing/highway trips.

Hopefully ford will do the right thing.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:25 PM
The last I heard Ford plans to fully replace the Ranger with a redesigned Sport Trac by '08. I think it's a huge mistake, the Ranger should be redesigned to look like the F150. This move worked for Dodge with the Dakota, making it look like the Ram boosted sales dramatically. There are people that like the look of the new F150 but don't want the size. If they could have the smaller Ranger with the F150 look Ford could keep more people in the showroom and perhaps reclaim the small truck market in the process.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I found this link while browsing another Ford forum trying to do some research on Ranger pickups. I'm currently looking for a used one for my son. Apparently this line of new Ranger trucks is going to be sold overseas. They look pretty decent to me.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/ranger/index.php

Old 03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
I would think the Ranger would be a good sell with women. Some women don't like the big a$$ trucks like the F150. I hope they keep it around. I think it's an awesome little truck.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:13 AM
My daughter wants one, but I just bought her a new Focus ZX4. I told her she could get one when she finishes college

Old 03-29-2006, 02:21 PM
SM
I love my little Ranger, although over the years it has been demoted to "beater" 3rd vehicle status. My wife and I bought it new in January 1990, and it now has 241,000 miles, and has been extremely reliable. Still has the original engine, transmission, clutch, and alternator. Water pump, power steering pump, and original front pads and rotors all lasted over 200,000 miles. Has never had an alignment, but has always gotten excellent tire life.

We paid $7700 +TT&L for the truck. I think we got our money's worth!

Old 04-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcp123
I vote for a new Ranger too. It's always been a good truck for anybody who wants a truck but not all the big pickup issues of gas mileage, size, etc. A mild restyle, an available 4.6l 2v V8, and a full 4-door model plus a full reworking of all the underpinnings, etc. would make the Ranger as much truck as most people would ever need.
Amen.

Quick Reply: Redesigning Ranger