Painted Tailgate Handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2000, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Painted Tailgate Handle

This weekend, I saw a red F that had it's tailgate handled painted body color. It looked great, and I'd like to do that to mine.
It seems simple enough, but I'd like to know if it really is simple. I was thinking I'd just need to mask off the area around it, spray it with primer, and then spray the paint. Is there any more to it? Will the primer stick to the bare plastic or do I have to prep that somehow?

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT 4x4 SC/SB 4.6L, Auto., 3.55LS, TTP, blah, blah, blah
All the info is at http://www.fordf150.net
Now with How-To Articles!

Old 07-12-2000, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I painted mine. I made a mask with paper to keep overspray down and after the paint dried I put a couple of coats of clear on top of that. Looks okay but a real painter could have done much better. The black was beginning to show a faded look.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings

Quick Reply: Painted Tailgate Handle