Got tired of FM Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got tired of FM Modulator

I wanted to let everyone know about a sound system mod I made that worked out real well. I have a 2000 Expedition with the premium sound system (not Mach), and 2 video monitors.

Previously I had been using an FM Modulator, hooked inline to the antenna to get audio into my stereo, and frankly is sucked. It always either had a whine, or lots of ststic.

So what I did, was permanently mount a cassette adapter (the ones you can use for portable CD players). I took the radio out, removed the faceplate, and put the cassete in with the wires running behind the faceplate, so they're not visible. I then remounted the radio. The wires run down into my center console. While I was at it, I permanently mounted a female 1/8" mini jack in the console, on a y-adapter so I can externally plug in any audio souce (MP3 player, PocketPC, etc.). The video system's audio goes to the other side of the y-adapter.

This works great with my radio. Sure the sound quality is less, but it's a lot better than the FM Modulator. Plus, on my radio when it's on FM or CD, the tape doesn't turn or eject so permanently installing it it works great (I don't even own audio casettes).

Old 12-24-2001, 11:58 AM
Sounds like a cool idea. I wish I thought of that for the wife's car...it would have been alot cheaper than the route I went through...LOL.

David

Old 01-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Good Idea

Not the perfect solution as you said, but a definite step up. Way to go.

Quick Reply: Got tired of FM Modulator