Ford HU and XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford HU and XM radio

Do any of the new Ford HU have the XM radio inputs?? I thought I remember seeing it on a 02 model at the dealer, but can't remember what it was. I may consider trying to pick up a stock HU with XM on it on Ebay.

Old 11-30-2001, 12:19 PM
I'm really not sure about that one. But pioneer has a universal satellite hook-up, suppose to work with factory head units, go here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,2328,00.html

Old 12-01-2001, 01:32 PM
I've seen the Pioneer, but that is the FM one, I want the direct connect one. If I can't find a Ford HU that is XM ready, I will just replace it.
Thanks

Old 12-01-2001, 10:17 PM
Slapshot;
Ford has signed an agreement with the "other" satellite radio company ...
http://www.siriusradio.com/
They have fallen behind and are scheduled for ops in Feb 02.
http://www.radiosandmore.com/
will have oem head units with sirius satellite radio capability sometime in early 02. Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2001, 12:05 PM
Ahhhhh, it figures.
LOL

Old 12-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Wink

Are you kidding me? The way the "premium stereo's" are coming off the factory, were lucky Ford is even shipping radio's. Actually, I wish they would leave them off and just wire the trucks for us, would be alot easier!!!

Old 12-03-2001, 11:02 PM
Bird;
To be honest ... I'm very pleased with my OEM head unit and cd changer. I agree the speakers need an upgrade and a sub is (almost) a necessity (see signature). I'm looking forward to the sirrius satellite radio coming on line and exchanging my (OEM) head unit for a satellite version.

Old 12-03-2001, 11:22 PM
fed Ex, that doesn't even make sense. Your satisfied, BUT..... Comon!!! Satified would sound like this:

"Bird, I just bought my new $40k Ford truck and I love the sound system, it sounds so good, I don't have to add anything!!"

See what I mean?

Old 12-03-2001, 11:47 PM
the typical driver of an f-150 doesn't need to spend an extra $500 on a sub and better speakers. i think they sound pretty darn good.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:34 AM
Birdman:
Are you as hyper in real life ... as on this site ????? READ MY POST .... "satified "?????

Last edited by FedExPilot; 12-04-2001 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:00 PM
LilBuddy,

DEAD WRONG!! People who spend almoast $40k on a truck are looking for quality. Quality on EVERYTHING!! That includes a Stereo system that sounds reasonable, which is currently NOT the case. If we wanted a cheap truck with cheap parts (like speakers), we could have easily bought an Izuzu (I can't even spell it!!??#@!) for like $15k instead. No, we decided to go with quality and spend ALOT more hard earned money, and for that money I think Ford should put in a REAL effort to add a QAULITY sound system. One which is NOT proprietary, one wich can be easily expanded. You know what, it would not cost very much, like probably $100 more dollars because things are VERY cheap when mass produced in places like Mexico (where many of Fords parts come from). And guess what? I paid $250 EXTRA for a "Premium sound system". That means for will have still made $150 EXTRA on the system. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! And us as consumers should let Ford (who made BILLIONS last year) know what we think!!!

FedEx,
Am I passionate about this? YES!!! HELL YEAH!!!! You'd better believe it because unfortenetly the average consumer as you say, is satisfied, and that is becuase they don't know better OR more importantly, don't realize they have a say in the matter. If everyone complained as they should, next years model might just have a REAL "Premium sound system" in it.

Think about this for a minute!! The CD changer in my $40k truck is proprietary!!! WHAT????? Try putting "proprietary" CD player in a computer!!! Now, the CD player in the PC only costs about $40, and the entire PC only costs $1k. And if the CD player was proprietary, the company would be out of bidness, immediately!!!! Now how does Ford (and the rest of car/truck industry) get away with this!!! Because people put up with it!!! WELL NOT ME!!!!! And you should not either.

FedEx,
Almost forgot through my hyperness!! Sorry, you said "Happy" not "satisfied" And Yes, I've even worse in real life!!!

Old 12-04-2001, 06:33 PM
Just a quick question, where or when did Ford get into bed with Sirrus? Pioneer and Ford have teamed up on some of their vehicles which would lead me to think XM would be in the Ford's. Again, I am not 100% sure, but logical thinking would have me think this way. As fas as the stock vs. upgrade debate goes...in my opinion...no audiophile or even close to being one would be satisfied with the stock set-up. They are nice, but have no low or high end to them. Paper cone vs. poly cone...10 watts of output vs. 22 watts RMS. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Old 12-04-2001, 08:38 PM
I agree with PART of both CC and 12V. While yes Ford should come up with a real Premium sound system, even if they did there would still be people yanking them out because they do not like some or all of it. You can not please everyone. Just look at the post at different boards on the 'net. Even a simple question like speaker recommendations gets you 20 different posts on some boards. To my ears MB Quart PSC 216's are the best, but to someone else they do not. The only factory system, I have listened to, that was remoted good was made by Nissan in some of the Maximas. BUT some people still complained and gutted them for aftermarket parts. I still do not understand why they had Clarion mess up a perfectly good CD changer though. I would have loved to have kept the changer when I changed the HU. They need a cussing for that....

David

Old 12-04-2001, 09:43 PM
12volt;
Here's an excerpt from the sirius web site (http://www.siriusradio.com/nonflash_site/recent.asp)

"From its three satellites orbiting directly over the U.S., Sirius (www.siriusradio.com) will broadcast 100 channels of digital quality radio to motorists throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee of $12.95. Sirius will deliver 60 original channels of completely commercial-free music in virtually every genre, and 40 channels of sports, news, talk, comedy and children's programming. Sirius has exclusive alliances to install AM/FM/SAT radios in Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo, Mazda, Dodge and JeepÒ vehicles. Kenwood, Panasonic, Clarion and Jensen satellite receivers, including models that can adapt any car stereo to receive Sirius, as well as home and portable products, will be available at retailers such as Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys, Tweeter and Crutchfield."

Quick Reply: Ford HU and XM radio