recommended speaker upgrades, what do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question recommended speaker upgrades, what do you think??

When I went to my local stereo store, the guy there said that best "bang for the buck" in the F150's is to replace the front speakers with 6x8's. He recommended the Pioneers if I ever plan to add a small sub to it. He said the rears aren't really heard enough to justify the upgrade. Questions....

1) For the Pioneer 3370 with XM receiever, Terk glass mount antenna, and Pioneer 6x8's for the front, they want $813 all installed, tax, out the door, there is a $30 rebate on the antenna, so $783. How does that seem for a price??

2) What kind of sound quality would I get if I kept the factory HU for now, and just added the Pioneer 6x8's myself??

3) Is there anything different or tricky about installing the 6x8's in the door?? He said you need spacers.....

Thank you again for the help!!!!!

Old 11-30-2001, 12:13 PM
1) That's not a bad price for out the door. Could be alittle better though.

2) I got to tell ya. I was surprise how good the ford speakers were for being stock. They took a good beating from me.LOL There's a big difference in sound quality when you upgrade from stock speakers. You get to hear more of the music. You hear what's going on. You know what I mean?

3) As far as the install, I didn't need any spacers with mine. I guess it would depend on which 6x8 speaker you choose. You have to check out he depth of the magnet. Go to http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...101200,00.html an check out which type of 6x8 you want, 5x7 will fit too you know. Click on the speaker you want to look at and see it dimensions.

Hope this helps Slapshot.

Old 11-30-2001, 07:19 PM
I have the Pioneer TSA 6895's in the doors, factory in the rear. Those 4 are run by the Pioneer Premier deck....It sounds really good. The rear just can't be heard that well, no imaging. I have two RF HE 10's run by a RF 500.2 amp @ 4ohms bridged mono, I still don't need an amp for the other speakers, they sound that good and are clear all the way up. The 6895's are more expensive, but I think they are worth it.

Just replacing your stock speakers will make a huge difference and will be less expensive. You can always find deals and upgrade from there. An aftermarket deck will then again make another big difference. I do recommend the Pioneer deck and 6x8's, They are very good.
That price is a little steep IMO. I do everything myself which saves alot of money though.

Old 12-01-2001, 01:30 PM
I am not looking for a loud stereo, I want a quality sound. I think by upgrading the stock speaker to 6x8 3 ways, the overall sound quality will improve greatly. The install should be relatively easy, the hardest part is getting the door panels off without breaking any clips. I think I may upgrade to a new HU with XM radio in the near future, but I'm still not 100% sold on it yet.

Old 12-02-2001, 10:57 AM
I just completed phase 1 off my stereo upgrade, using Blaupunkt 6x8 3 ways (PCxi573). I have always been impressed by the performance and price of Blau speakers; they have high spl ratings so they create more decibles with less power. I used a Clarus 75x4 amp, and though I replaced my head unit, you could use the speaker wire inputs with your stock radio. This combination absolutley rocks, and I don't feel a pressing need to add the subs anytime soon (though I will eventually). The combined price for amp and speakers through Crutchfield was 270.

Old 12-04-2001, 02:56 AM
if your looking for quality and load , you need somthing better then pionner . get some focal or kove , none of thoes pionner or fosgate

Old 12-04-2001, 12:54 PM
Thumbs down

N1mxer,

You obviously have no clue to what your talking about. I've been using Pioneer for quite a few years. I 've used others, only to come back to Pioneer. I don't put junk in my truck. Does my truck look like junk? If it's in there, then it's quality. If I was doing competitions, I'd go with the upper echelon stuff that is basically made for that. But that's not the case here. Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, they're all good. You don't have to spend 1000's of dollars to get quality. My Pioneer sounds just as good, if not better then some that put thosands into there systems. I've proven that to some people. It depends on how you build that system. A $1500 stereo can sound better then a $4000(if it's just thrown together, not planned) when it's built right. Fact. Plus learn how to spell, or stay a junior member. That's my $.02 cents.

Last edited by RAM AIR; 12-04-2001 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:21 PM
I hear ya, the guy at the store tried to sell me a set of MB Quartz, they were almost $400 a set. I am not that much of an audiophile to spend that much!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2001, 04:10 PM
slapshot,

Some people think just because they have 1000's of dollars in there stereo's, it's the best. That's just not so. I've got almost $1800 into mine. More then I'd like. But, it's were I want to be as far as sound an quality. The quality is there, an the sound is out of this world. I have only a reg. cab. How much stuff can you really fit in there, until it starts to bunch up an work against each other. I get ALOT of compliments about my system, an that's including the comp. guys. You gotta do what works for you, an only you. Only you know what your looking for, an what you want to get out of it. Hope you find your set-up. I'm sure you will. You seem to know what you want. Good-luck.

Old 12-04-2001, 04:24 PM
I got a Kenwood Excelon 917X and 2 sets of Infinity Kappa door speakers for about 620$ that cd player rocks and so do the speaker do not pay someone to do a job you can do your self. Go to www.carmedia1.com the dash filler and harness cost 20 bucks as well. Buy some butt connectors and crimp like mad good luck but no thats not a good price.

Syeth

Old 12-14-2001, 08:02 PM
As said earlier, go to www.carmedia1.com and get yourself a set of quality speakers and HU and do the install yourself. The dash kit and harnesses are pretty cheap. Get a twleve pack of beer and do the install yourself, its not that hard. For about $500.00, maybe less, you can improve your sound 100%. Good luck. R/S Dennis

Quick Reply: recommended speaker upgrades, what do you think??