Help... CD changer skipping after adding subs

Old 09-21-2001, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help!

I added 2 10" subs and an amp, and now when I turn it up, my CD's skip. I have the factory CD changer in my 98.

What I was thinking of doing was taking out the changer, and putting some sort of padding all around where the changer sits.

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I solve my problem? I'd sure like to let those subs rock!!!

thanks

Old 09-24-2001, 12:09 PM
Is it a CD changer or HU? If cd changer wrapping it with something might help. But ull probaly have to end up investing in a new changer or HU, wich ever it maybe. Just my 2cents.

Old 09-24-2001, 01:52 PM
It's a changer. Now if I can figure out how to remove it........

Old 09-24-2001, 06:15 PM
Lightbulb Dilemma

I read about your dilemma and I ran across this on ebay;

A STIFFENING CAPACITOR FOR YOUR CAR CD PLAYER???? THAT'S RIGHT!! I HAVE A BRAND NEW SPRAGUE 84,000uf, 20 VOLT STIFFENING CAPACITOR FOR USE ON CAR CD PLAYERS. YOUR CD PLAYER WILL SOUND MUCH BETTER AND HAVE BETTER BASS WITH THIS CAPACITOR. IF YOU HAVE A BIG AMP OR SEVERAL AMPS IN YOUR CAR THERE IS A HUGE INSTANTANEOUS DEMAND FOR POWER WHEN THE BASS NOTES HIT. MOST CAR STEREO COMPETITORS HAVE STIFFENING CAPS FOR THEIR BIG AMPS BUT ONLY THE SERIOUS COMPETITOR KNOWS THE MAGIC THAT THEY GIVE YOUR SOUND WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON CD PLAYERS!! THIS CAP WILL KEEP THE VOLTAGE ON YOUR CD PLAYER ROCK SOLID WHEN YOU REALLY CRANK UP THE BASS. IT WILL ALSO KEEP THE DISPLAY LIGHTS ON YOUR DECK FROM DIMMING. MANY TIMES PEOPLE WILL ADD BIG AMPS TO THEIR SUBWOOFERS AND SAY "WOW I HAVE SO MUCH BASS IN MY CAR THAT IT MAKES MY CD PLAYER SKIP!" WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING IS THAT WHEN THE BASS NOTES HIT THE AMP TAKES SO MUCH POWER FORM THE CAR ELECRICAL SYSTEM THAT THE VOLTAGE AT THE DECK DROPS AND THEN THE CD LASER DIMS AND THEN CANNOT READ THE DISC. MAKES SENSE DOESN'T IT!!! THIS CAPACITOR IS ABOUT 4 INCHES TALL AND ABOUT 3 INCHES IN DIAMETER. IT FITS EASILY IN THE DASH OR JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1276602501

Old 09-24-2001, 07:19 PM
I have never heard of this. I've heard of putting caps on amps, but never the changer itself.

I guess one way to test it is to measure the voltage at the changer when things are pounding. But I'm pretty sure it's just getting jiggled around because my subs are right next to my changer.....

Old 09-24-2001, 07:35 PM
Thumbs up Worth a try

It's worth a try. I plan on putting a sub in my F-150 xcab as soon as I make it back to the states. Hopefully in 10 days. 4 Oct 01 is the drop dead date. Good luck

Old 09-24-2001, 08:01 PM
rgullin9,

If you want to know where I got my subs & box from, just send me an email. It's from a place in Texas.

Old 09-30-2001, 11:23 AM

Adding a cap will not solve your problem. The skipping you are hearing is the subs jiggling the chganger. Personally I think you really only have two choices. One is to try and move the changer to a location away from the subs (like under a seat, etc) and see if that helps. OR upgrade to a good aftermarket CD changer. I ran into the same problem with a set of cheap subs in my regular cab truck. I never did get mine to quit skipping so I ended up gutting the whole system and upgrading everything...Kenwood 715S head unit, Kenwood C717 changer, and MB Quart PSD-316 component speakers for the front stage. I ended up putting alot more in it than I was planning on (a Kenwood 849 amp for the components, Memphis Studio 10 subs, and a Memphis PB400 sub amp). I was going more for sound quality than pressure level. Da** truck still is not back together completely....
Sorry about the rambling but that is what I ended up doing....
David

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help... CD changer skipping after adding subs