Stereo Plans

Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Plans

Getting ready to purchase my XLT Supercrew 4WD with EcoBoost and will be gutting it the day I bring it home to do my install, if anybody has had any experiences with the equipment I will be using I would really appreciate reviews on it!

Here's what I will be using:

Signal Processing:
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty to maintain factory head unit (going with 402A)
Arc Audio KEQ5

Amplifiers:
RE Audio ZTX800.4 (mids/highs)
RE Audio DTX1600.1 (subwoofer)

Speakers:
RE Audio SR 6.5C Components (front doors)
RE Audio REX 6.5 Coaxials (rear doors, mostly for fill)

Subwoofer & Enclosure:
RE Audio SEXV210D2 (10" dual 2-ohm voice coils) in a Fox Acoustics vented enclosure (1.25 cu. ft. airspace tuned to 36 hz)

Accessories
Second Skin sound dampening
12 ga. wire to subwoofer
16 ga. wire to mids/highs
4 ga wire to amplifiers
Scosche adapter plates for mids/highs

I plan to remove the carpet from the rear wall of the truck and mount a carpet matched piece of MDF cut to fit the rear wall where I will mount my amplifiers, crossovers and 3Sixty.

I am going to wire my woofer down to 1-ohm as the DTX1600.1 is class D and 1-ohm stable, this will feed the sub 750 watts RMS, I want it to be loud but I don't want to rattle the bolts loose. Hence the single 10" woofer and not dual 12's.

I am hoping I can mount the KEQ5 inside the center console but if not I will probably mount it between the console and the cup holders if space allows. I want the truck to look as stock as possible inside, but sound like a rock concert. Also, I'm hoping the absence of big DVD screen in the dash will shy away potential thieves which is why I am really hoping I can mount the KEQ5 out of sight.

If anybody has any install tips, advice or reviews(good or bad) on any of the equipment I've listed I would love to hear it!

Have a great weekend fellas.

Last edited by MVRK; 07-13-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Man no responses that's a bummer.

Anyway, I am on the hunt for a different set of components, RE Audio XXX 6.5's.

They are a little more than I want to spend but i think they will be worth it. I've been kicking around the idea of putting components in the rear and dremeling the tweeter mounts myself, just not sure if I really need them back there. I will probably end up with the REX coaxials I listed above.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Man no responses that's a bummer.

Anyway, I am on the hunt for a different set of components, RE Audio XXX 6.5's.

They are a little more than I want to spend but i think they will be worth it. I've been kicking around the idea of putting components in the rear and dremeling the tweeter mounts myself, just not sure if I really need them back there. I will probably end up with the REX coaxials I listed above.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM
nearly 300 views and not a single reply? this place sucks.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Not that many people use RE stuff so finding ones who do on a f150 forum is even slimmer haha. Probably why there hasn't been any replies since you asked for people's experience with the stuff.

I've used that sub before but it was a 15" ported in a box built to spec, not a 10" in a prefab one size fits all style box. It was decent for what I paid for it, but I probably wouldn't buy one again. Even as a 15" sub it lacked some low end that should've been there. If you have the time and the materials I'd recommend building your own box to spec and tuning a little lower to around 32hz. It'll save you some money.

I can say though second skin deadener is pretty good, I have it in my doors to help with my components low end and I have it on the back wall to help with some road noise

I can also say definitely do not cheap out on wire. Get something that's quality, it'll cost more, but otherwise your 4ga wire may end up more like 8ga wire with a 4ga sized jacket on it.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Not that many people use RE stuff so finding ones who do on a f150 forum is even slimmer haha. Probably why there hasn't been any replies since you asked for people's experience with the stuff.

I've used that sub before but it was a 15" ported in a box built to spec, not a 10" in a prefab one size fits all style box. It was decent for what I paid for it, but I probably wouldn't buy one again. Even as a 15" sub it lacked some low end that should've been there. If you have the time and the materials I'd recommend building your own box to spec and tuning a little lower to around 32hz. It'll save you some money.

I can say though second skin deadener is pretty good, I have it in my doors to help with my components low end and I have it on the back wall to help with some road noise

I can also say definitely do not cheap out on wire. Get something that's quality, it'll cost more, but otherwise your 4ga wire may end up more like 8ga wire with a 4ga sized jacket on it.
I'm considering having a box built if the cost is doable, i am also looking at a Sundown Audio SA10 as a lot of folks are recommending it over the sexv2. As far as wire goes I plan on running 0 gauge to a distribution block and may just run 0 gauge to the amp as well, I saw a RF distribution block that 0 gauge in and outputs.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd definitely do basically any sundown sub over the re sex.

I'd do 0 gauge to the distro block then 4 gauge to both amps. For quality wire that won't break the budget I'd recommend knu-konceptz. Their distro blocks are pretty cheap too. I also do fusing overkill where in my truck I have a fused distro block with the fuse size for each output matching the amp rating, then at the battery I have a fuse that's the size of both the other two put together. So if there's a short, no matter where it is, it can be contained before a lot of potential damage occurs.

Also since your going to have a somewhat decent current draw with two amps I'd recommend getting some extra 1/0 wire and doing the big 3.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 AM
After speaking with a good buddy of mine, he told me to stay away from RE. Said that since they were bought by US Amps they aren't the same company they used to be. So basically that entire system has been scrapped, glad I didn't buy it. I am also scrapping the pre made enclosure, I will be having one built to the optimum specs of the sub. My buddy told me to take a serious look at Rockford Fosgate for the money you spend you can't go wrong.

So right now I'm looking at this build:

Signal processing:
RF 3Sixty w/arc audio KEQ 5

-OR-

RF 3Sixty.3 and no EQ

Amplifiers:
RF R1200-1D or RF 750-1D (basically comes down to if sub can handle extra power)
RF R400-4D (75x4 @4 ohms)

Speakers:
RF T2652-S Components (front components)
RF T165 (rear doors, fill)

Subwoofer:
RD T1D210 (Rated at 600 Watts RMS, been told it can handle way more than that, most I would feed it is 800)

Other than that 0 Gauge wire and a custom enclosure around 34 hz and 1.25 cubic feet, would love to get 1.5 but I don't know if it will be available under the seat.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Can you link what you are using for processing by RF? If I was you I would just get the 3sixty.3 and run active. It is a lot more capable than the KEQ 5 will be...

For amps, if you think you will upgrade, get the bigger amp. It's all about...Headroom! Bigger is always better until the point of diminishing returns. Also I don't know the price of that RF 4 channel, but there are many 4 channel amps available (used and new) for very good prices and that will meet or exceed the RF.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Yea since your branching out, I'd look at audioque for amps better bang for the buck and they'll do over the rated power. Also check out Memphis, kicker, sundown, mmats, skar, American bass, and arc audio. That's about all I have off the top of my head, but all will do rated and then some.

Any reason your trying to buy everything from the same brand?

For subs I'd go back to sundown and look at the SA-10, it'll fit the 1.25cf better and it'll take closer to 1200rms clean power all day and still be happy. Or the skar audio vvx10, built like the SA-10 (sundowns owner helped with design from what I heard), but they sacrifice a little bit of spl for more sound quality. I've ran the vvx 8's before and they did not disappoint, had two of them in 1.2cf tuned to 32 and both of them took almost double power no problem. They're highly overbuilt and pretty under rated subs.

No matter what you go with get an amp with extra power though, so you can always keep that gain turned back and set properly and keep the signal clean.

As for door speakers have you looked at the massive audio ck's or rk's?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I've got a PPI 900.4, talk about cheap power...

x2 on the sundown.

Don't be afraid to mix match brands, I've got a few in mine...but the 2sixty.3 is a very nice unit. I'll be getting one of those when I can afford it.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 AM
I am debating between the SA10 and the T1D210, I know the SA10 will handle more and hit harder but I'm not really 100% concerned about SPL, it will really depend on what Sonic can do when I call to place my order, if they can give me a good price I will get the T1, if not might opt for the SA10 from another dealer. I am definitely doing the 3sixty.3, that's a given.

The only things I could see changing are the sub (still have to decide between these 2) and the amps, I have some time until I get my truck so I might use it to put aside extra cash and get the power series amps. Not sure though, i think the amps i listed will do great and it's not going to be a competition stereo.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 AM
The amps you have listed will definitely do good, rockford still makes good stuff, but there's others out there that can do the same power or more just as clean for a little less cash.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 PM
paying under $400 for the amps, they aren't the power series.

won't be putting coaxials in the rear, going to put punch midbass drivers in.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...te-PPS4-6.html

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm guessing no one rides in the back of your truck? Haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo Plans