How-To: Big 3 Upgrade (Extremely Pic-Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Randylahey
hi guys,

I recently did the big3 upgrade and i did mine as follows.

Green - Negative batt (-) to Chassis
Red - Positive batt (+) to Alt (Fused)
Blue - Negative batt (-) to Engine block

Is this a correct way of doing it? I have some wire left over, did i miss anything?

thanks guys!
I did it as well, -a little differently because of my set up. I wanted just one connect @ the battery post. The biggest difference I noticed is that the windows whip up and down, - fast! They weren't like that before. Great write up!

I cleaned up that Big cab to frame ground back of the cab as well. Not sure if that helped, but all and all, it turned out good.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont forget frame to chassis

Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Cool step by step write up. I like the attention to detail and colored guidelines.

A couple things to add though:

1) Wires under the hood must have protection of some sort. Proper looming is critical for safety.

2) The fuse must be rated for what the wire is rated for, not just any amount between 200 and 300. If the wire is rated for a maximum of 250A, it would make zero sense to put a 300A fuse on it.

I strongly recommend the frame to chassy ground. The stock one is like 12awg. I was amazed at how small it was when I swapped to 1/0. While for some it may not be necessary, many people ground their large sound systems straight to the frame for a nice clean ground so this 4th wire is one that really should be upgraded anyways. So theoretically it should be called "the big 4 upgrade"

Comparison:

Installed:

Just posting the picture for those who want to direct replace this wire instead of running it to the battery post.

Otherwise, nice job man.
I'm having some trouble trying to find this wire so i can installa 1/0, could anyone get me a little more insight on where to look?

thanks!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
front passenger side right behind the wheel well UNDER the truck

Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
front passenger side right behind the wheel well UNDER the truck
Found it, thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Hmm, maybe have to do this eventually. I idle at 13.5-13.3, and it got down to low 12s when listening to music and putting my window down. Probably doesn't help that I have under drive pulleys.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Pics don't work.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Couple questions.

My factory engine block ground appears to run to a starter bolt under the car. For my big four upgrade, wouldn't it be better to run the thicker wire directly to the frame instead of the same starter bolt? The chassis-frame ground is pretty close.

I noticed that a lot of people ground the battery to the chassis, but wouldn't it be better to ground it to the frame as well? Yes, I know the chassis is connected to the frame, but it seems like going direct to the frame would be the lowest resistance.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by mears
Couple questions.

My factory engine block ground appears to run to a starter bolt under the car. For my big four upgrade, wouldn't it be better to run the thicker wire directly to the frame instead of the same starter bolt? The chassis-frame ground is pretty close.

I noticed that a lot of people ground the battery to the chassis, but wouldn't it be better to ground it to the frame as well? Yes, I know the chassis is connected to the frame, but it seems like going direct to the frame would be the lowest resistance.
The factory has a reason to run that ground to the starter, I just ran the new wires right next to factory and followed the same routes to ensure nothing out of the ordinary happens. Dont want to give it a reason to create noise.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by JJDH
The factory has a reason to run that ground to the starter, I just ran the new wires right next to factory and followed the same routes to ensure nothing out of the ordinary happens. Dont want to give it a reason to create noise.
Fair enough, but alternator mounting bolt to starter mounting bolt is an engine block to engine block connection. I can't see where the starter bolt grounds to the frame or chassis.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by mears
Fair enough, but alternator mounting bolt to starter mounting bolt is an engine block to engine block connection. I can't see where the starter bolt grounds to the frame or chassis.
Ok, I did a bit more wire tracing and here is how the grounding is handled on the 2009s, which sounds like it is similar, if not equal to earlier years,

Negative Battery Terminal is grounded to the chassis via a short run to sheet metal under hood
Negative Battery Terminal is connected to engine block via a bolt on starter underneath the truck.
Bolt on starter has a second wire that grounds to the frame underneath the passenger side front wheel well.
Chassis is grounded to frame via a non-insulated wire braid just behind front passenger wheel.

So, with that detailed out, here is what I'm thinking about doing is keeping all factory wiring and running 1/0 along side it with one exception: Instead of running 1/0 from negative terminal to starter bolt and then 1/0 from starter bolt to frame, I'm thinking of running 1/0 from negative terminal to starter bolt and then 1/0 from negative terminal to frame. The reason being is that it's pretty crowded down there and I don't think I can squeeze two runs of 1/0 to the starter bolt. Thoughts?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
rok
What gives? pics not working anymore on Post #1

Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rok
What gives? pics not working anymore on Post #1
Originally Posted by expedition4x4
Pics don't work.
Originally Posted by mblouir

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
rok
Thanks. My bad just went to last page after seeing first post wasnt working.

Quick Reply: How-To: Big 3 Upgrade (Extremely Pic-Heavy)