Ready to take the plunge...But need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to take the plunge...But need feedback

Ok, I'm finally ready (after 3 years!) to take the plunge on a new system for my '01 SCrew. Here's what I've decided on so far.

- The system will be totally stealth (i.e. nothing exposed for anyone to see.)
- Nothing will be installed under the rear seat(s) because I need to fold them on a regular basis.
- Headunit will be the OEM CD-6 radio I purchased and installed recently.
- The entire system will be run off one 5 channel amp.
- Sub duties will be handled by a JL Stealthbox (10") installed in my center console.

Here's what I need some feedback on.
- What amp would you recommend?
- What front door speakers would you recommend? I'm leaning toward either 6.5" ---- Focal Polyglas separates, MB Quart PCE separates, or JL Audio separates.
- What rear door speakers would you recommend?

Try to keep in mind that my truck is a daily driver, and I have no interest in having the baddest system in town. My goal is to have a system when I'm done that will give me super clean, well balanced sound, across all the music types I listen to (i.e. jazz, rock, country, easy listening).

Let me know on my feedback items as I really want to get rolling now that I've made the desicion to do a system.

-Mike-

Old 04-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Come on guys.... I've read a whole bunch of posts in this forum, and there are some really opinionated stereophiles out here. Somebody's got to have some suggestions. Please share.

-Mike-

Old 04-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Re: Ready to take the plunge...But need feedback

Originally posted by BigDeal
Ok, I'm finally ready (after 3 years!) to take the plunge on a new system for my '01 SCrew. Here's what I've decided on so far.

- The system will be totally stealth (i.e. nothing exposed for anyone to see.)
- Nothing will be installed under the rear seat(s) because I need to fold them on a regular basis.
- Headunit will be the OEM CD-6 radio I purchased and installed recently.
- The entire system will be run off one 5 channel amp.
- Sub duties will be handled by a JL Stealthbox (10") installed in my center console.
Here's what I need some feedback on.
- What amp would you recommend?
- What front door speakers would you recommend? I'm leaning toward either 6.5" ---- Focal Polyglas separates, MB Quart PCE separates, or JL Audio separates.
- What rear door speakers would you recommend?

Try to keep in mind that my truck is a daily driver, and I have no interest in having the baddest system in town. My goal is to have a system when I'm done that will give me super clean, well balanced sound, across all the music types I listen to (i.e. jazz, rock, country, easy listening).

Let me know on my feedback items as I really want to get rolling now that I've made the desicion to do a system.
-Mike-

Here are some 5 channels amps to choose from. Sounds like you know enough to choose a good one to match those Focals.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...0&BasicSearch=

I have heard the Focals. Really like them. Go Focals all around to keep your sound stage and imaging the same.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Dupuis; 04-03-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I have two sets of Infinity Kappa 5x7's for the front and rear doors. They are not seperates, but they have a stand alone crossover. They sound great with a little amplification. As for an amp i am an Rockford fan but I have heard many good things about the Alpine V12 amps and I know they have a good 5 channel amp. Looks like you have a good idea of what you want, for the speakers you have listed I would go the the MB. From what i have heard from them they sounded great, just a little pricey for me. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:14 PM
i have JL TR CoaX speakers all around my truck. they do sound good, but im upping my stereo system for something a little louder . If you're looking for something stealthy, go with 5.25 seperates with a adapter plate to stick them in your 5x7 mounts. tweets should be within the plate or mounted 7 inches away from the 5.25 speaker, but if you're going to mount your tweets away from your speaker, then you might as well opt for the 6.5. i recommend a/d/s, yet the sound is a little deeper and 'bassy' than usual speakers go. I've sampled alpines, and the sound is higher than expected (great for the jazz horn). go with CoaX speakers in the back, seperates tend to echo in the back if they're not properly juiced. If your Head Unit produces amps, run your back speakers on your Head Unit and your front speakers on your amp, then you can opt for a 3 channel amp instead of a 5, or stick with the 5 and bridge the other channels to your sub. personally, i'd go with seperate amps for your speakers and a seperate mono for your sub

Last edited by inque; 04-04-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hey Mike -

Good move doing the system upgrade. Thought I would pass a few ideas along for you to think about:

When I had my '01 'Screw, I was able to put 2 amps under the rear seats and still retain the fold-down capability. When the seats are folded down, there is still a few inches of space available under them.

My amps measured 15" x 9.5" x 2.75" and they fit nicely under the rear seats.

That being said, I too would go with separate amps for the sub and doors.

I installed MB Quart 6.5" components all around. You can secure the crossover directly to the lower door skin on the rear doors. There is a spot where the door skin makes a pocket, about 8" from the front edge of the door, almost at the bottom, that the crossovers fit in perfectly. Nice & dry and no vibration issues.

I secured my front crossovers directly to the door, right under the re-inforcing bar that goes betwwen the pull handle and the door skin. Again, there is a pocket that makes a nice mounting point.

As far as a stealth install, that will require some thought with respect to the tweeters. On my new Lightning I ended up mounting them directly next to the 6.5" driver in the door, right behind the factory speaker grill. Suprisingly enough, they sound very good in this location. 100% stealth install, minus the removable face plate Alpine HU.

FWIW, Sound Advice has been blowing out quite a few audio products lately. I saw a pair of MB Quart components marked down from $549 to $279. I'd give them a listen before I purchased anything else.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide...

Quick Reply: Ready to take the plunge...But need feedback