Need a source for Troyer's e-fan controller

Old 04-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a source for Troyer's e-fan controller

Does anyone happen to have any idea who Troyer used for his "mil-spec" e-fan controllers so I can get a direct replacement? Dearle? House sourced, custom spec? If not, has anyone replaced one with a similar unit? I know these things are simple, but Troyer's controllers had all the bells and whistles and I'd prefer to just swap a new controller in vs. re-wiring everything if possible. Thanks!!!

Old 08-25-2018, 01:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
As best as I could recall, it was a DeRale.

Actually, to the best of my recollection, Troyer's Fan Kit was made up entirely of DeRale parts.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Interesting. I'm glad you posted this.

I've been looking for a solid relay for another project.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 AM
For electric fans, auxiliary coolers, et cetera, I have found that DeRale makes some of the better products. Not to say that there won't be problems. Fuses blow. I have seen the fuse holder melt. The relay also can and will fail. Product support is pretty good also. They actually have a phone that is answered, and there is a tech support guy there who actually knows that product. A lot of times, the problem has to do with your installation and not the parts themselves. There is quite a bit of science to things like the wire run length, the size of wiring, the grounding, the connections, et cetera. 25 amp @ 12 volt = 300 watt.

I have also used the Painless Performance fan control on other builds. Amazing product. The engineering is probably the best I have seen for a fan control kit. Pricing comes in at just about double what the Derale kit sells for. The biggest advantage is the use of a circuit breaker. The fan control potentiometer appears to be a much better unit.

If money is not a factor, then buy the Painless Performance P/N - 30104, about $120. Troyer's kit looks like it used Derale Performance Part Number 16759, about $60. A quick look online, and you will also find fan relay kits for $15 - $20.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I know it's not F150 related... but it's really no different... but I've been thinking of adding an electric fan to one of my tractors using a manual switch and relay method. Thanks for the insight!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
thinking of adding an electric fan to one of my tractors using a manual switch and relay method
Just about the same degree of difficulty as installing an offroad light.

I'm posting the relay diagram from a DeRale kit. This will allow you to set up what you want to do.

Spend a few more dollars and buy the fan kit. I installed several of these kits in old 5.0's. The wire that is suppose to connect to the air conditioning can be used as your toggle switch line.

Be forewarned that I chose the kit based on cost. But it really isn't that cheap, since you could basically buy a fuse holder, some wire, a relay, and a thermostat probe for about the same or less. And I have had to trouble shoot and replace melted fuses and fuse holders. But that could also be my fault. Bad wiring. Poor grounding. Overloading the circuit. Wrong size wires. Pairing the relay with fans that drew more than 25 amp. Using a 25 amp fuse when I should have used a 30 amp fuse. You get the picture. Most likely me screwing up the installation, and not a defect in the kit.

Roll over image to zoom in
Derale

Derale 16738 180 Degree Farenheit Single Stage Electric Fan Controller

3.1 out of 5 stars 90 customer reviews

| 11 answered questionsPrice:$30.98

Search this Thread