Amazon Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Amazon Motor Oil

Anybody bought oil from Amazon yet? Maybe you have already done a used oil analysis on Amazon oil. Made In U.S.A. by Warren Distribution. API starburst approved for gasoline engines.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It's just rebranded MAG1 motor oil... same junk they sell in convenience stores...

Old 12-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I certainly wouln't classify it in the same category as some of the "junk" I've seen in convenience stores. Some of that stuff is so outdated as to the API specification it's only good for really old antiques.

Seriously, Warren, IIRC, is one of the vendor's for Walmrat's SuperTech line of oils. Perfectly capable product, nothing special and reasonably priced. I've used it extensively for years in almost everything I own.

FWIW, I'd never seen either MAG1 oil not had I noticed that Amazon was selling their own line of oil. The shipping expenses have got to be stupid-expensive for something like that.

If it meet's the required API specification, I wouldn't hesitate to use it where suitable.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
First off, be careful about just calling the maker Warren. There is a Warren Distributing which is the maker of the Amazon oil and there is Warren Oil, a completely different company. PQIA is showing data pages on 2 of the Amazon oils. One is the 0w-20 oil which is labelled a synthetic and the 5w-20 which is labelled a conventional. I'm going to post the 0w-20 oil for you to look at. The 5w-20 oil is a fair oil only. Would I use it in an EcoBoost engine? Hell no. It's not near strong enough enough to handle the heat or the beating the EcoBoost engines hammer out on the oil. Using it in old beater like a 4.6 2 valve, should work just fine in mild climates. The 0w-20 oil though is a different cat. Viscosity Index at 171....hello ...what....in a bargain oil? FWIW, that's mighty tall for a "cheap" oil. The ASTM D-5800 testing at 9.9 beats Mobil One by quite a bit. The additive package is pretty good too with moly at 81ppms and boron at 230 ppms means they didn't hold back on building a decent oil. All things considered, I'm impressed with their synthetic 0w-20. Considering they have it for sale for $19.99 with free shipping, it's a bargain. Might wanna stock up before the end of the year. This can't last long at this price.
http://pqiadata.org/AmazonBasics_0W20.html

Old 12-22-2018, 02:39 AM
Amazon offers motor oil in several different weights, and either conventional, synthetic blend, or full synthetic.

The pricing is very low, especially for the full synthetic. Synthetic blend 5W-20 was $14 for 6 quarts a few weeks ago....which is comparable to Wal*Mart SuperTech pricing for similar. I suspect that pricing will go up and down, like everything on Amazon. I bought 6 quarts of 0W-20 Castrol full synthetic for under $20, and now it's over $40. Best deal ever was 12 Motorcraft oil filters for $14.

While Warren Distributing makes oil for different brands, they all vary with their own proprietary formulations. So Mag1, SuperTech, & Amazon may all come from the same plant, it does not mean that what is inside the bottle is exactly identical.

What I have seen first hand with fleet service is that the least expensive oil & filter is always used, and oil changes are always at whatever the manufacturer specifies. At work, our cars get oil changes every 5,000 miles with the correct weight (5W-20) oil from a drum, & generic white can filters. The City, and every company with a fleet, is not paying extra for "top shelf" synthetic oil or high grade filters. All of these vehicles run at least 200 miles daily, and at least 1,000 miles a week. So oil changes are every 4 -5 weeks as needed. The engines last hundreds of thousands of miles with junk that most of us would never use in our personal cars. The engines have never suffered catastrophic failure. Transmissions go out. Suspension goes out. Brakes go out. Alternators, water pumps, thermostats......everything fails except the engine. In The City, the police fleet is still using those 90's vintage Crown Victorias......with the original engines! The engine is still good. Transmissions can be rebuilt. Everything else is a wear item. They will keep driving them until the very last Crown Vic is wrecked in a collision.

So while I do believe that not all oil is created equal, and I do want better oil in my personal engine........my real world experience tells me that regular oil changes with any oil will not blow up my car.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
The 0w-20 oil though is a different cat. Viscosity Index at 171....hello ...what....in a bargain oil? FWIW, that's mighty tall for a "cheap" oil. The ASTM D-5800 testing at 9.9 beats Mobil One by quite a bit. The additive package is pretty good too with moly at 81ppms and boron at 230 ppms means they didn't hold back on building a decent oil. All things considered, I'm impressed with their synthetic 0w-20. Considering they have it for sale for $19.99 with free shipping, it's a bargain. Might wanna stock up before the end of the year. This can't last long at this price.
http://pqiadata.org/AmazonBasics_0W20.html

Very interesting data. I'm impressed.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:08 AM
Looks like a "price war" for motor oil sales.
Recommended for Applications • ILSAC GF-5 • API SN, SM, SL, SJ • Ford WSS-M2C946-A • Ford WSS-M2C945-A • GM 6094M
Click image to open expanded view

Downloads CAD Models, MSDS, Manuals
by MILES LUBRICANTSMILES LUBRICANTS M00100111 Milesyn SB 5W20 API GF-5/SN, Synthetic Blend Motor Oil, 1 quart Bottle (Pack of 12)

Be the first to review this item
Price:$29.98 ($2.50 / Pack) Free Shipping for Prime Members

Last edited by Fifty150; 12-22-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:31 AM

Click image to open expanded view

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN Plus) - 5W-20 - 5 Quart - AM52FN3Q

by AmazonBasics
4.5 out of 5 stars 50 customer reviews

4 answered questionsWas:$21.44 With Deal:$14.78 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I wouldn't use any of the Miles oils even for free. The NOACK is far too high and sludge will be a problem not to mention you might not be able to pour it in the engine fast enough as it pumps it out via the pcv.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:57 PM
Thanks Labnerd.

For anyone else who doesn't know, and I didn't know:

Noack volatility test

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation
Jump to search
The Noack volatility test, named after Kurt Noack,[1] determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. This test is standardized as ASTM D5800.[2]

In this test, a sample is heated at 250 °C for 60 minutes with a constant flow of air over it. The weight fraction lost is the result for the Noack volatility test.

As the lighter hydrocarbon fraction of motor oils evaporate, the viscosity of the remaining oil increases, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy, increased oil consumption, wear and tail-pipe emissions.

References[edit]

1. ^ K. Noack (1936). "Eine neue Laboratoriumsmethode zur Ermittlung der Verdampfbarkeit von Schmierölen für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen". Angew. Chem. 49 (25): 385–388. doi:10.1002/ange.19360492504.
  2. ^ "ASTM D5800-15a, Standard Test Method for Evaporation Loss of Lubricating Oils by the Noack Method". West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM International. 2015. doi:10.1520/D5800-15A.

Quick Reply: Amazon Motor Oil