Are all FIPKs' created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are all FIPKs' created equal?

I've noticed there are three different brands of FIPKs' here at the online store. The prices are a little different, is there any significant difference between them??
Performance vs. cost vs. ease of installation vs. noise level vs. appearance??

And what about noise level? I have read a little about the sound they make, how significant is this?

And as far as installation, can a somewhat mechanically inclined indvidual pull this off?

Any opinions??????

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2001, 07:59 PM
Thumbs up

longbox,

I purchased an Airaid about a month ago and am very happy with it. The noise it makes isn't really annoying, kinda cool actually. When you put your foot into it, and you will it sounds like a 4 bbl carb. I've also noticed that when highway cruising it get a low rumble from it and you can definitely here the air rushing in. I did a lot of reading about the 3 FIPK's offered on this board and came to this conclusion; all offer similar performance but different levels of fit and finish. The K&N looks similar to stock and I believe is smog certified, the Airaid is a bit nicer to look at and the Air Force has that chrome tube that looks very nice.
As far as installation; I had mine on in about 1.5 hours. I took my time and wiped down my engine while I was at it. The instructions were not the best but if I can figure it out I'm sure you can too. Just be careful with the sensors and you should be fine. Good Luck!

------------------
(Gots)
98 SC 4x4 ORP
4.6L
3.55 LS
Airaid FIPK
Raider Vagabond Cap
Bedliner
Westin Chrome Steps
Chrome Brush Gaurd

Dime size door ding in P side door courtesy of some uncaring B#$t@&d (soon to be fixed)

(Wants)
Ravin 55 SI/SO

Old 05-05-2001, 08:05 PM
i went with the airaid too. directions not that great, but you can figure it out or get better directions off this site. i did notice a little more engine noise with it on, but it was still over-powered by the exhaust. good buy.

------------------
HOSRACN

Black Hammer

Born November, 1998 in Kansas City, MO

Truck
1999 XLT F-150 Supercab 4X4 Offroad, 5.4L EFI V8 Auto, 3.73 Gears, LT265/70-R17 OWL All-Terrain, Electronic Shift--4X4, Class III Trailer Towing Group, Captains Chairs, 4-Wheel ABS

Current Mods
Airaid Aircharger With K&N Air Filter, Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer, Glasspack Muffler With Split Dual Rear Exiting 18" Chrome Cannons, Torsion Bars Cranked Up 1.5", GTS Headlight & Taillight Blackouts, Tinted Windows, Billet Grille, Ford Hitch Cover & Lock, Lightning Side Emblems & SVT F-150 Tailgate Emblem, 18" Billet Antenna, Ventvisor Window Air Deflectors, Wheel Locks, Spare Tire Lock, Hitch Endcaps, Aiwa Receiver/CD Deck CDC-X176M, Deluxe Overhead Speaker System

I'D RATHER PUSH A FORD THAN DRIVE A CHEVY

Old 05-05-2001, 08:07 PM
longbox i am not positive about being the same because they do make slightly different claims for each(talking about K&N GENERATION II==AIRFORCE ONE==AIRAID) I got a airaid myself but would feel ok with any of the above. i have a 5.4l and i really hear very little noise out of it and of course at WOT. i got it because of price it was lower at the time then i could get the others. i think it was easy to install, but all i did is watch a friend do it and handed him tools==he took about 45 mins and alot of that was reading instructions--lol.
good luck on your choice
(PS i am happy with airaid.)

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

Old 05-06-2001, 11:33 PM
Wink

Thanks guys , appreciate the input. Will probably go with the airaid 'cause of cost and I do think they're all about the same.
Thanks again!

Old 05-07-2001, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

longbox,

I just installed the Airaid this past weekend and I love it! The throttle is more responsive and the sound is great! Got to this page to print out instructions on the install http://www.sportruck.com/howto/f150airaid/index.htm

The instrcutions that come with the Airaid are pretty bad.

Steve

------------------

'98 F-150 XLT SuperCab Flareside, Auto, 4.6L, 4X2, 3.55 LS, 6-CD changer, Moonlight Blue with tan interior, Captains Chairs

Mods:Window tint, Extang Classic Platinum Tonno, Lund Interceptor bug deflector, Wizard Superwhite Bulbs, Pendaliner bedliner, Expedition center console, Airaid FIPK System
My F-150 Page
Expedition Console How-to

Quick Reply: Are all FIPKs' created equal?