F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Other Aftermarket (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-aftermarket-17/)
-   -   trailer hitch stuck in receiver (https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-aftermarket/315414-trailer-hitch-stuck-receiver.html)

RKrough 01-06-2008 11:02 PM

trailer hitch stuck in receiver

It has been stuck since I bought it, I took a few swipes at it with a hammer a couple of times but it didn't move, I sprayed it few times with liquid wrench and no luck yet. Any suggestions?

And yes I did remove the pin :)

ScottFF00 01-06-2008 11:14 PM

Is it welded? IF not hook it to a tree and pull. It'll come out if its not attached some other way.

Shinesintx 01-06-2008 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFF00
Is it welded? IF not hook it to a tree and pull. It'll come out if its not attached some other way.

:thumbsup:

RandomJesus 01-06-2008 11:23 PM

We actually had one at work that was so rusted in that even hooking up to a tree didnt get er' out. We had to heat it up with the torch and then take a sledge and beat the piss outta it. lol

RKrough 01-06-2008 11:47 PM

None of the trees around my yard look that sturdy, with my luck I would pull the tree down on top of the truck .

Torch and sledge hammer sounds like the solution

My only other option is my neighbor who has a new Silverado 2500, If I hook a 50' chain between my trailer hitch and his front bumper and got a good running start would that do it?:D

Shinesintx 01-07-2008 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by RKrough
None of the trees around my yard look that sturdy, with my luck I would pull the tree down on top of the truck .

My only other option is my neighbor who has a new Silverado 2500, If I hook a 50' chain between my trailer hitch and his front bumper and got a good running start would that do it?:D

If you try the formentioned, please post pics!

scottbigred 01-07-2008 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shinesintx

X2 :lurk: :thumbsup:

heard a horror story about some guy who had a hitch rusted/stuck in and hooked to a telephone pull to yank it out... hitch never came out and the pole came down. dont know how much i believe that but its funny anyhow

GreenBuck50 01-07-2008 01:54 AM

If it were my Silverado I would not let you do it.

ManualF150 01-07-2008 03:29 AM

Try a large prybar or also known as a crowbar with a sledge.

Raoul 01-07-2008 07:41 AM

...I took a few swipes at it with a hammer a couple of times but it didn't move,..

Are the pin holes still lined up on the drawbar and receiver?
If so, you only need to move it a fraction to break the hold.
Use a eight pound sledge hammer and drive it straight back toward the truck.

If you drive it too far and it wedges into the curve of the drawbar, the back of the receiver is open, if you drop the spare you will have swing room from underneath. Use a piece of pipe and a big hammer.

01lightningsuper 01-07-2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shinesintx

x3 :lol:

CWCobra 01-07-2008 01:17 PM

Spray it with PB Blaster...it's waaaay better than Liquid Wrench.

clar 01-07-2008 01:34 PM

post pics I'm thinking video for this one , no try the liquid wrench and a small sludge hammer

ScottFF00 01-07-2008 01:51 PM

If you can't get it out you aren't trying hard enough.

kingfish51 01-07-2008 02:46 PM

Check the back of the receiver. It may be open that with the spare dropped, you can use a piece of pipe to get to the insert and hammer that to pop it out.