Class III Trailer Hitches

Old 10-24-1999, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Class III Trailer Hitches

Helpful hint to everyone thinking of installing a Class III Trailer Hitch on your F150 - Buy the Ford Hitch

I bought a Shelton Hitch at CT Farm and Country for $74.99 on sale and installed it.
It wouldn't clear the spare tire and the spare tire was now almost touching the exhaust pipe, half inch away at most. I am running LT265/75R16 tires by the way. Took it back off and returned it, 60 mile round trip to store. Bought a Ford Hitch and 7pin harness from the dealer $200 total. Cost a lot more but the fit is perfect and the spare tire is about three inches from the exhaust pipe. Hope this saves somebody the same hassle I had.

Best Regards
Michael

Old 10-25-1999, 09:30 AM
Question

Along the same lines, other than a Ford hitch, are there any aftermarket class III hitches available for 1997 F-150's that don't have any problems interfering with the spare tire? Where did you get it and how much was it?

Old 10-25-1999, 05:48 PM
Question

PumperMike,

I called the dealer today and was told the hitch comes as a "Kit". Did yours come that way and if it did, what was in the kit? The 7-pin connector? Or just new nuts? Did the 7-pin conn have the whole harness or does it just connect to the existing wiring?

Thanks

Old 10-25-1999, 08:17 PM
Cool

There are other options, I bought a DuraHitch aftermarket for $99.00, Perfect fit, very easy install and I keep the 4 pin wiring that matches my trailers. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but you do not need to spend $200.00 to get a good hitch. I was able to install mine in under an hour by myself, holes lined up perfectly and no clearance problems.
Jeff

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau, factory CD with changer (thanks Dusty), tinted windows

Menasha, WI

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ton54home.html

Old 10-30-1999, 07:01 PM
I've had the same experience. I bought a hitch from Pep Boys and the holes didn't all line up and it interfered with the spare tire. The only other store around wants $150 for theirs but I don't know if it'll fit either. Any reliable places online where I can get one? There are about 5 Ford dealers near me but $200 is more than I want to pay for a hitch. Thanks guys.

Old 10-31-1999, 01:26 PM
Just got a catolog from Truck Performance Warehouse. They carry Hidden Hitch systems in class III and V that claim to have "no modifications or drilling required" for f150, 250 etc. Class III for $129.00 + 10% shipping. http://www.truckperformancewhs.com

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over gold, 4.6L (Windsor) automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels and the 4X4 decals, MOD so far= K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster VVS shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps.

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 10-31-1999).]

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 10-31-1999).]

Old 11-03-1999, 08:06 PM
Cool

As I said I bought a DuraHitch from a local Truck Accessory shop. It is made by AWP Industries 1-800-666-9938. See if there is a local dealer near you. Mine was $99.00 plus tax and simple to install. No drilling or clearence problems. They do not list a web site in their brochure. AWP = American Wire Products. They are a metal fabrication shop in Frankfort KY. I have had this hithc on my truck since new, no signs of rust. Looks like a very quality product.
I have their full address and local phone number and fax number if interested.
Jeff

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau, factory CD with changer (thanks Dusty), tinted windows

Menasha, WI

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ton54home.html

Old 11-04-1999, 08:27 AM
I installed a Reese class 3 hitch on my truck, the cost of the hitch was about $120cdn which is like $80us and it fit perfectly, no moving of the spare tire, no drilling, no nothing. It took the guys at the hitch center I use about 3 minutes to install it.

------------------
Silver 99 F150 XLT 4x2 Sport Extended Cab with Flare Sides...
Mods: K&N Air Filter, Tinted Side Windows, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback System, Reese Class 3, Airbox Mod's, Fiberglass Tonneau Cover, Alpine Deck & Subwoofer Processor, Zapco AG350 Amp, JL 10W0 (times 3) & 1 Farad Cap
Coming soon: Spray-On Bed Liner, Bell Tech Drop Kit (2" rear or 3"/4" ???)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class III Trailer Hitches