Northeast CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT, WV

2WD in 4WD Country?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD in 4WD Country?

Right now, I'm perfectly happy with my 2WD here in the "flat" area of Texas. Being that the DFW area gets little, if no snow, there isn't the need for a 4WD. In fact, I traded in my 10 year old 4WD F-150 when I moved down here from Washington a few years ago. Now, I find that I might be moving to North Eastern PA in the Scranton area. Looking at a city guide, I saw that the area receives about 40 inches of snow each year.

For those that live in the area, do you think it's necessary to go back to 4WD, or should I be okay with the 2WD, better tires, and chains when necessary? Anything else I can do to help the 2WD traction? I'd hate to have to trade and lose money on my '03, but don't want to be stuck in the snow all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-14-2004, 03:54 PM
2WD..

I have been running a 2WD w/Posi for 10 years.. here in Mass. Best thing to do is to get Posi or locker if you can, studded snows, and 4-5 60lb bags of "tube sand" or "traction sand" and leave them in the back.

I have a set of chains (old style links) and have only had to use it twice and I live on a decent hill. Cops around here run this light duty chains that are like springs and they can run them at 55 mph.. I have not been able to find out where they get them.

Have fun...
JR

Old 03-29-2004, 03:50 PM
I made it through a Norther VT winter with my '72 F250 2WD no locker. I just put weight in the back. The one time I did get stuck was when parallel parking and the street was not fully plowed. A 78-79 subaru with a winch pulled me out because he liked the look of the old round headlights.
Even not that I have a 4WD F250 in south NH I still keep it in 2WD most of the time. I just like having the exta traction whenn needed (I tend to play alot and somehow get stuck )

Old 03-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 2WD..

Originally posted by jeraa2t
I have been running a 2WD w/Posi for 10 years.. here in Mass. Best thing to do is to get Posi or locker if you can, studded snows, and 4-5 60lb bags of "tube sand" or "traction sand" and leave them in the back.

I have a set of chains (old style links) and have only had to use it twice and I live on a decent hill. Cops around here run this light duty chains that are like springs and they can run them at 55 mph.. I have not been able to find out where they get them.

Have fun...
JR
JR, These might be the one's you referred to:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...1046&sc=a60074

Old 04-05-2004, 02:00 PM
I live about 40 mile south of Scranton , Unless your going to live and stay in town , I would suggest having 4WD . You can't depend on penndot to keep up with the roads . Just like DFW everything is a long way away, unless you live in the middle of town. The average snowfall seems to be about three feet over the season . This year schools have been closed for snow probably six days . Last year they were making up days at the end of the year ( probably more that ten days ) due to weather. It really depends on your lifestyle plenty of people stay inside till it all blows over . Scranton and all the surrounding areas are at a high elevation prone to snow. Then again if you like to fourwheel you definately need it !! Personally , I live out in the middle of nowhere and bought a 4x4 just for that reason . I gotta get around . Hope that helps !! mattyb327

Quick Reply: 2WD in 4WD Country?