The 2009 Ford F-150 First Drive

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome write up. Very well done.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Awesome Article, very informative. Another Piece that reinforces why I drive Fords. Two of the competive models are farly new (Toyota and GM in 07) so it may be awhile before we see a lot of the issues corrected on those trucks. However the RAM is new for 2009 and still seems like a POS. It seems the RAM bodystyles only last about 3 years now. With the current financial state of Chrysler, I am not expecting much R&D more of just a grill and headlight redesign, but again I have not really researched that truck so I could be wrong.

Last edited by F150RYDER2K8; 10-27-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually... I believe it was a 09' RAM. The only 08' was the Tundra.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Nice review, Rockpick.

When Dodge held their event with dealers they put their 09 Ram up against the 08 F-150 and said the 08 F-150 was the 2009. That was kind of shady.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 AM
RP how did you get to do this testing thing? You must be high society now.

I can't believe you got stuck, see you need more practice wheeling that bronco of yours. If I drove that truck in the mud, I would of beat the snot out of it. Don't really know how far they let you push them though? Too bad they didn't have the trucks with mud terrains on them instead of the race slick, stock tires.

Anyway good info, I'm going to post it on FSB.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Rambo
Nice review, Rockpick.

When Dodge held their event with dealers they put their 09 Ram up against the 08 F-150 and said the 08 F-150 was the 2009. That was kind of shady.
I heard the same thing about the RAM event. In fact, *several* of the reporters that were at this event were also at the RAM event. They were all quick to point out that it wasn't an apples to apples type of comparison -- and, in fact, some verbally said that they thought that there was a reason that they didn't make an effort to test the newer with their newer (alluding that the new F-150 was going to blow the RAM up and out of the water) (which it did).

Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Need4racin
RP how did you get to do this testing thing? You must be high society now.
I was quite lucky. I'll sum it up with that. It really was an awesome event.

I can't believe you got stuck, see you need more practice wheeling that bronco of yours. If I drove that truck in the mud, I would of beat the snot out of it. Don't really know how far they let you push them though? Too bad they didn't have the trucks with mud terrains on them instead of the race slick, stock tires.
Ehh, there weren't any limitations on 'pushing' it (read the part about me overheating it?). In all honesty, I'm not sure that a 'stock' truck of any make model or, dare I say, even year, would've made it through the Cattails area of the course.... I know, I know... everyone can put out a theory (and I'm sure that my 1978 FSB may have given it a good run) but, this was a PIT. Mind you, the mud was up and over the doors -- probably around 2' up the doors, in fact.

Anyway good info, I'm going to post it on FSB.
Cool. Thanks for the cross-link. Much appreciated. As a FSB owner, maybe they'll recognize I'm one of them (I'm on FSB as well, as you know).

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
All I know is if Ford Motor Company handed me a brand new truck to "test" I would not be leaving until I drove the Pistons through the hood.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by F150RYDER2K8
All I know is if Ford Motor Company handed me a brand new truck to "test" I would not be leaving until I drove the Pistons through the hood.
I feel quite confident that this would put me on the 'do not call' list. I'd like to go back again at some point in time. I feel pretty confident that they keep track of who attends, their affiliations, and how things went with regards to the overall experience at the event.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Thumbs up

Great read. I took a peep at a 2009 F150 XL (4x4) at our local dealer lot last weekend and wasn't impressed at first blush... I need to spend some more time looking at the truck... hopefully it grows on me.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Rockpick,

Great article, great pictures, well organized document. I am very fond of my 07' F150, I am glad to be a Ford owner. I am glad Ford seems to be reversing previous trends, especially Quality, and "Want-ability".

However, red flags flew when reading your article. Now my pessimistic side will show. This smells funny. So I'm forced to ask a few critical questions:

1. What is your trade or occupation? As I read the article, how it was laid out, the structure, grammar, and abundance of descriptive adjectives made me wonder.

2. Who took all the pictures? They look great, high res., nice backgrounds, almost posed pictures. Did Ford provide these, if not, what kind of Camera was used?

3. How did you remember so much detail? Did you take notes, or did Ford provide brochures and technical data?

4. How many other participants were at the "Ride and Drive Event"? Do you know any of their backgrounds or occupations?

4. Did Ford always use the model that was "ideal" for the 'modules’?

5. Did they provide any models or displays of their "test" vehicles for viewing or driving? They test drive these new models a substantial amount before, pre-release events, like your "Ride and Drive". How have the seats held up after 100k. What does an FX4 ride like after 100 trips through the Cattail bog?

6. How many hours did it take your to prepare this document, did anyone else assist you in the writing, or editing?

Sorry, to be the "Fart in Church". I am a die-hard Ford Truck Fan. I hope the new F150 rocks. I like most aspects of what Ford is doing to advance the F150 brand to the next level. The design, inside and out, model line up, colors, interior layout, quality. I think their marketing has even stepped up. The ads have been great, IMHO.

I don't ask these questions to smear, or flame. But your writing and presentation seemed too polished, posed, and staged.

Thanks for reading my humble opinion and questions.
Respectfully,
-Tung

PS- In the interior picture "Platinum Edition with navigation" what is located on the A-pillar?

Last edited by Tungstontiller; 11-11-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Tung,

RP is a very presentable individual. I have yet to find one spelling error in ANY of the posts he's made in the year I've been here. Secondly, I belive those are tweeters on the A-pillar. And it wasnt a King Ranch edition, it was the Plat Edition with the Nav console.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Tung,

RP is a very presentable individual. I have yet to find one spelling error in ANY of the posts he's made in the year I've been here. Secondly, I belive those are tweeters on the A-pillar. And it wasnt a King Ranch edition, it was the Plat Edition with the Nav console.
Raptor05121,

He appears that way, with an obvious history of writing technical documents. Second, I stand corrected and so edited.

Thanks,
-Tung

Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Very well written article RP! Great pictures too.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write-up, Rock. Next time, take one of us with you!
By the way, any news on the 2009/2010 Harley Davidson Edition? - Og

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2009 Ford F-150 First Drive