Removing Fatory Nav , replacing with Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KC AUTOSOUND - HELP ,Removing Fatory Nav , replacing with Kenwood

I am about to replace my factory nav unit ( 2007 f150 supercrew with nav and subwoofer ) with an after market unit ( kenwood dnx 7100 ) my question is with the wiring harness I can not find an after market harness for this , can someone post a schematic for the factory harness so I can tap into it or any other info would be helpful , from what I understand the bypass for this unit is simply grounding the parking brake wire. I have searched forum but cannot find a thread for the 2007 factory nav unit wiring , will also be adding the reverse cam , bluetooth phone , Ipod , TV tuner , and the steering wheel controller. any help on install will be highly appriciated ,

Last edited by Fatboy 2Five0; 08-27-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Cool OEM Takeout

Hey 2Five0:

Let me know when you pull the trigger on your OEM Navigation system? I've been looking for a navigation system to install in my 2005. Let me know when you think you might pull the trigger and what you want for your existing system. Shoot me an email at jwmoreno@sbcglobal.net

Thanks Jeff

I'll do some searching and see if I can find the wiring diagram for the 2007.

Last edited by Tazzman; 07-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 AM
2FIVE0:

This should be what your looking for.

Radio 12v-------------- lt. green/purple +
Radio Ground------------black and black/lt. green -
Radio Ignition----------- pink/black or lt. green/yellow +
Radio Illumination--------lt. blue/red (dimmer) +
Factory Amp Turn-on----dk. green/purple +

Notes: This is the subwoofer amplifier turn on lead. The subwoofer and amp are in the driver side rear corner of the cabin. The subwoofer speaker wires are brown/orange (+), and red/black (-) at the radio harness.

LF Speaker + -----------orange/lt. green
LF Speaker - ----------- lt. blue/wht

RF Speaker + ----------- white/lt. green
RF Speaker - ----------- dk. green/org

LR Speaker + ----------- gray/lt. blue
LR Speaker - ----------- tan/yellow

RR Speaker + ----------- orange/red
RR Speaker - ----------- brown/pink

Hope these helps, KC can confirm, but I believe these are correct.

Last edited by Tazzman; 08-28-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks Tazzman for the diagrams , will check on the color codes against my truck this weekend, I have already ordered new equipment, so when everything arrives I will make the swap , again hopefully by this weekend, another question i have for KC or anyone else who may be able to answer is

will I still have to use an aftermarket bezel / gap filler around the new HU or will it fit because of previous nav system ?

Is there a way to use the existing Nav/GPs antenna on the new HU.

Is the grounding of parking brake lead a legitimate bypass?

I have a harness for a Parrot bluetooth already installed it works great ,any way to utilize that harness ?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Tazzman,

I'm wanting to do the same with mine - find a factory nav. But now I'm starting to lean towards a Pioneer AVIC Z2. Love the hard disk based system. Anyway, just thought I'd say hi since I'm in Flower Mound.....I have an 06 Red FX4 5.4....

J

Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I did use an aftermarket bezel with my 04 f-150 and it looks great, as for the ground that is all you have to do

Last edited by brianl; 09-05-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Brian , Thanks for the info, I talked to the a tech at Metra today and he told me with premium sound it did not matter if I had a nav unit or not that all I needed was the metra 70-5521 wiring harness ,and the 95-5812 install / bezel kit and an antenna converter from ford to chrysler, I called cruthfield and they are sending me all of those parts. thier bezel was not from metra so hopefully it will still look good. crutchfield bezel/install kit was 95-807.
Glad to hear the bypass was so simple, one reason for going with this unit, I have heard it takes a little getting use to but after a couple of days its no big deal, one question for Dnx7100 users when in nav mode can you still see whats playing on your Ipod , Radio channel etc , at top of screen or elsewhere ?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 PM
I do not have my Ipod cable hooked up yet but, you can calculate your destination and then push the tuner button and listen to music and the nav unit will still come in and let you know when and where to turn or you can have the tuner overlay on the nav screen, plus I have the rear camera and as soon as you put it in reverse it shows on the screen.

Last edited by brianl; 09-05-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Sorry for the delay. I was up till 4 am working on a customers truck that had to leave on a tow truck back to Springfield this morning. Then had a full day of Ford Accessory installs. Wasn't even thinking of looking at a forum till now...lol

Seems you have had all your questions answered. As for the TV Tuner I will say that it is the BEST tuner I have ever installed. Every customer that spends the money on it doesn't regret it. Do keep in mind that on Feb 17, 2009 the federal mandate is that all TV stations MUST go digital. Therefore the analog TV Tuners for radios and such will most likely become obsolete. Audiovox has already informed me that I must tell my customers of this future issue.

As for the Bluetooth...I love it. I used it all day since I'm driving around to all the dealerships throughout Kansas City. Can't believe I got by without it. My phone isn't compatable with the phone book system but it doesn't really bother me. I'm just glad that everyone can hear me without any echo issues. My Pioneer D2/D3 and Z1/Z2 customers have had some bad issues with this.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Fatboy 2Five0
I am about to replace my factory nav unit ( 2007 f150 supercrew with nav and subwoofer ) with an after market unit ( kenwood dnx 7100 ) my question is with the wiring harness I can not find an after market harness for this , can someone post a schematic for the factory harness so I can tap into it or any other info would be helpful , from what I understand the bypass for this unit is simply grounding the parking brake wire. I have searched forum but cannot find a thread for the 2007 factory nav unit wiring , will also be adding the reverse cam , bluetooth phone , Ipod , TV tuner , and the steering wheel controller. any help on install will be highly appriciated ,
2FIVE0:

Thought this might help as well.
Factory Radio Harness

Last edited by Tazzman; 09-01-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks again Tazzman , I got everything put in and all works well , the controls are a PITA but once I get them figured out I think it will be fine , The only issue I am having is with the steering wheel controls from Pac - Jack . they just will not work ,I may have gotten a bad unit , I tried calling thier phone but I guess like everyone else they are out for laborday will try them agian on tuesday, So I should have an almost brand new 2007 factory nav unit on the market soon if anyone is interested. The factory nav is much easier to use than the kenwood . I am trying to get used to the Kenwood/Garmin nav which is a lot more cartoony than the factory , dont know if I like it or not.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I'll take it.....send me the price. aol im is romeoz. thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
romeoz , sent email

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Bypass

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

Im getting a Kenwood DNX7100 and wondering about the bypass....

Do you just have to simply ground the parking brake wire to a screw or whatever.... or do you need a toggle switch or timer??

A friend told me you have to ground to a toggle switch but from what I read here just a simple 'ground' should work???

Also, its the green wire??

This should enable full bluetooth functions while in drive also? I read that certain functions are disabled (dialing I believe) when not in park.

THANKS

Old 09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
You can just run the green wire that has a parking brake tag on it to the black wire in the harness ( ground ) thats it , it will also allow full function of bluetooth while moving , I have everthing working now and its great , the tv tuner is really impressive in that I pick up local channels very well and I am 70 miles from the big city through semi mountainous terrain , once I get within 30 miles its just like cable. Phone works great I wish there was voice activation but you cant have everything I guess, the Ipod interface is also excellant and it even plays the videos. The user friendlyness is not so great , maybe they should have used a few more hard buttons , as you have to wade screen after screen to get anywhere , hope to have all the shortcuts figured out soon.

Quick Reply: Removing Fatory Nav , replacing with Kenwood