Install a flip down monitor or headrest screens

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Install a flip down monitor or headrest screens

Which one should I do in a 2006 supercrew w/o sunroof?...A 10.4 flip down screen or headrest monitors and by telling me which one how in the heck do I put them in? What is the best way?

Old 01-14-2007, 03:23 AM
I don't recall where I seen the post but someone installed a flip down in the their F150 and there was a gap between the headliner and the screen. I think there was some sagging of the headliner as well but I could be wrong.

I had a monitor installed on the overhead rail bin but I kept bumping my noggin into it. A larger flip down screen could likely block your rear view mirror. I suggest buying premade LCD headrest. My kids and I really love mine and they match the factory leather seats near perfect.

Far as installing, premades are very simple and consisit of nothing but routing the wire inside the seat back and making the connections. I used a 4 way video booster to split the signal between both seats. I don't remember exactly but I think I got my stuff from onlinecarstereo.com

if you do go with headrest measure the seat post seperation distance to pick the correct models. The LCD's come in several sizes up to and possibly over 10".

Old 01-14-2007, 08:13 AM
That was me that had a gap from the sagging. It has since been fixed but, I have a sunroof. Very difficult to get a solid mount with sunroof. Hopefully, without one, you will have a lot more support options.

I think your choice depends on where people sit. The reason I went flip down is my little one sits in his car seat in the middle and he would have to look side to side to see headrests. If you have people sitting primarily on the right or left, I would look at headrests too.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM
the headrest screens would be much easier. there is a company called vizualogic theat sends the screens pre mounted and wired into our headrests already. very nice product.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
But whats the price because I dont see it on the website...Im looking for something easy yet not pricey

Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by 1stFord4Boss
But whats the price because I dont see it on the website...Im looking for something easy yet not pricey
That is another reason I went with flip down. The Vizualogic headrest screen package will run you in the $800 and up range. I paid less than $300 for my flip down. I paid around $500 for the flip down in our FX35. Headrests are much, much easier to install but, flip downs are generally cheaper. Unless you go with the less expensive headrest screens like they have on ebay. Just make sure they fit. The Vizualogic are custom replacements that fit perfect but, you have to pay the top dollar for them.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by dconder
That is another reason I went with flip down. The Vizualogic headrest screen package will run you in the $800 and up range. I paid less than $300 for my flip down. I paid around $500 for the flip down in our FX35. Headrests are much, much easier to install but, flip downs are generally cheaper. Unless you go with the less expensive headrest screens like they have on ebay. Just make sure they fit. The Vizualogic are custom replacements that fit perfect but, you have to pay the top dollar for them.
Wow I got both my 7" headrest monitors for around $250. I think I got them from millionbuy.com but I don't see them on their website.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
the flipdown would be cheaper to purchase. but remember install is not exactly a breeze. I have seen many people bring in there trucks after attempting to self install a flip down. either with un center hole, saggy roof, nothing working I mean the ist goes on. So please be careful if you have never installed one before. It will cost a lot more money then headrest screens if you put a screw through the roof.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by JACKDUPmotrsprt
the flipdown would be cheaper to purchase. but remember install is not exactly a breeze. I have seen many people bring in there trucks after attempting to self install a flip down. either with un center hole, saggy roof, nothing working I mean the ist goes on. So please be careful if you have never installed one before. It will cost a lot more money then headrest screens if you put a screw through the roof.
You are 100% correct. The flipdown is really not for the faint of heart. I have only done it 3 times and I cringe every time I make that first cut in to the headliner. I would highly recommend the headrests or letting the professionals do a flip down unless you are very familar with them and/or you are willing to live with a messed up headliner if you cut wrong. I have had good success but, I go really, really slow and do my homework before I ever make a cut.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM
hmm.

Funny you guys are talking about this I'm going with the flip down but what I'm going to do is weld in a metal cross bracket which will allow a better fit. It just so happens I'm restoring this salvage truck and I'm about to start my fab for my cross memebers where the flip down will fit.

MP

Old 01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by satexasf150
Funny you guys are talking about this I'm going with the flip down but what I'm going to do is weld in a metal cross bracket which will allow a better fit. It just so happens I'm restoring this salvage truck and I'm about to start my fab for my cross memebers where the flip down will fit.

MP
That is the way to go. The thin little strip that is up there now just does not provide enough support. Take some pics if you can. I would love to see how you do it. I may have to try that.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Good Place to get headrest monitors

Where's a good place to get some headrest monitors on the web?

Thakns!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Ebay

Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
+1 for ebay

Old 02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
im going with the headrest dvds as well, im just starting to research them...i see ebay has really cheap prices, but im never fond of ordering from an over seas seller unless somone recomends them...so any recomendations??? I want to be able to tie it into my existing head unit(Avic-Z1)...only incase i want the same movie playing throughout the truck...otherwise id like to be able to allow the back seat to watch a seperate movie...does this mean i need the ones that have their own slot for a dvd?...and the ones w/their own slot, are they still able to be tied into the HU?...and im guessing that you have the option of playing the same movie in the back 2 monitors or seperate as long as they both have slots?...i hope im making sense here...i guess the only other thing id need is the wireless headphones...and is it better to buy the upgrade headphones seperately or do the standard ones usually sound good if adults were in the back watching a movie...Sorry for the lengthy post...hope someone has been there done that before and can answer all these questions...oh and my int is black lariat leather...and id prefer a screen 9" or larger if possible...Thanks again....

Quick Reply: Install a flip down monitor or headrest screens